1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best Wood Pound for Green Pound: Which Would You Choose?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by kjayhawk, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Black Locust - 27.9 Mill Btu per cord

Hickory - 27.5 MBTU per Cord

Ash - 23.6 MBTU

Red Oak - 24 MBTU

Lodge pole Pine - 19.3 MBTU

Ponderosa Pine - 16.2 MBTU

Big drop off when you get into the pines.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. moosetrek

moosetrek New Member

Loc:
    WY - East of Cheyenne
    There are a lot of drop offs in the pines, especially around the rivers. But the question related to a cost by weight (ton), not volume (cord) - I would guess that pound for pound they are similar, maybe not? We've found that in general, there a good percent of standing dead pine which is fairly dry; giving a total water:wood ratio that is lower than other woods. BTW, I was being somewhat facetious knowing the demographic makeup of the forum (NE vs W)... :)
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Don't use big words, I get confused pretty easy. %-P
  4. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    Another vote for Shagbark.
    Joe
  5. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Forum = group
    Those others are beyond me :lol:

I think the locust and ash are both nice choices but ash is easier to spell.
  6. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    The only reason I would go for black locust over shag bark hickory is I like hickory and hate to see it cut for firewood. Hickory nuts are as good as pecans to my palate. Black locust grows faster than hickory. But if the trees were down already I would take all the hickory I could get first. The btu chart I have says that hickory is a little higher in btu's than bl. locust. Red oak takes too long to dry when you have either hickory or locust and red oak is lower in btu's.
  7. iskiatomic

iskiatomic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    I'll try to keep this short. Being a second year wood burner, sitting on 12+ cords of Oak, and a little of this and a little of that. The Oak that was cut, split and stacked in June of '08, recently resplit a few splits to see 30-32% show up on the moisture meter.

I recently scored some dead stand Oak that measured 16-19%. Sweet fancy Moses! What a nice fire, killer heat, fantastic coals.

So, therefore I have been in super scrounge mode. Looking for whatever is dead and DRY.

I would love to find some Ash, but when you are a scrounger you take what you get.

One thing you can't buy is time!

Off to Boston to the ski show.

KC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.