Better get it coming!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

double-d

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2011
Northern Michigan - Mio
Here is a portion of an article I found from one of the stove manufactures, we knew it was coming, but until you see it in print, you hope it won't. Prices will increase after June 1st 2011!!!!

As you are all aware, the cost at the gas pumps seems to be ever increasing. Coupled with
various global concerns the price of just about all commodities has been affected by both
increased transportation costs as well as raw material and production cost increases.
We are currently working diligently with our suppliers and carriers in an attempt to reduce the
impact these cost increases have on the products we manufacture but it is inevitable that 2011’s
increase will be higher than previous years. Here’s some idea of what is evolving as we
purchase raw materials for our 2011/2012 production, let alone the cost of transportation.
Aluminum year over year up 20%
Copper year over year up 42%
Nickel year over year up 45%
Hot rolled Nov 2010 to Feb 2011 up 55%
Cold rolled Nov 2010 to Feb 2011 up 49%
430 Stainless Steel Jan 2011 to Mar 2011 up 13% (surcharge)
304 Stainless Steel Jan 2011 to Mar 2011 up 13% (surcharge)

Yup. Any time the price of gas increases the way it is doing, it will have a ripple effect across the board. Everything else will also have to go up in price.

And never comes back down when gas prices come down.

BrotherBart said:
And never comes back down when gas prices come down.

I sometimes wonder if Im the only one that sees this. Its close to $4 a gallon and once it peaks and comes back down, people will be so thrilled when it goes back to $3.50 ish. And they will be so content with the new national average. Imagine if your income increased at the rates we're seeing at the pumps and the grocery store. I guess the term price inflation wouldnt exist huh?

These days with everything going up you can always count on one thing to keep the same, your wages ! pete

certified106 said:
BeGreen said:
I have no idea where they got those numbers. Out govt. just reported today that core inflation is tame, under 1%. Don't you believe it?

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110415-710363.html

Hahaha, Yeah right it looks great when you leave out some of the most important factors of inflation

If the price of steak goes up they use hamburg in its place, we're only lowly plebs, we should be lucky we have food :p

BeGreen said:
I have no idea where they got those numbers. Out govt. just reported today that core inflation is tame, under 1%. Don't you believe it?
Oh, we're supposed to be believing our elected officials? My bad. :)

Yup, but the hearth manufacturers we deal with have held prices steady for the past few years..so this was expected. Already got my first "But you just gave me this price 6 weeks ago, how did it go up $80.00?" "Well, sir, you see where I wrote on the bottom of your quote about prices going up in the spring so the quote was good for 30 days?" "Oh yeah, but I thought you were just trying to get us to buy right then" "Well, sir, I understand. Let just get it ordered now before you do anything else silly, like wait till fall" conversations. I still have about a dozen quotes out there, so I expect to hear more of the same.

Just as we see glimmers of recovery, we get slammed back down again. Almost like someone wants the recovery to almost happen, so wall street fattens their pockets, and then quick fast, just when folks see some hope, jack the energy prices up to keep us feeding at the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.