BEV Pickup Trucks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boomfire

Jun 9, 2022
PA
BEV Pickup Truck, Who has one or in the market for one or plan on getting one?

I have made preorder/reservation (100$) for a few, not sure which one is going to come out first [fully refundable]

Tesla Cybertruck (Potentially mid 2023?) - they have huge backlog to fill, i am not even sure i would be able to get my hands on one for a few years.
Chevy Silverado EV (Summer 2024)
Canoo Pickup (2023?)

Rivian R1T [new reservations delivery at end of 2023] - i am on the fence with this one.
Not interested in F150 lightning after the price recent price hikes (twice in a matter of months), :rolleyes:

I have made preorder/reservation (100$) for a few, not sure which one is going to come out first [fully refundable]

Tesla Cybertruck (Potentially mid 2023?) - they have huge backlog to fill, i am not even sure i would be able to get my hands on one for a few years.
Canoo Pickup (2023?)

Rivian R1T [new reservations delivery at end of 2023] - i am on the fence with this one.
Not interested in F150 lightning after the price recent price hikes (twice in a matter of months), :rolleyes:
Id never buy a chevy.
The ford is likely worth the money
The Tesla is likely a nice vehicle but not as practical for the money.

A canoo and Rivian , I never heard of them so I would likely never buy one until I saw that many others were the guinee pigs.

Im hoping to get a ford someday, but I want to watch them learn from their mistakes and pickup a gen 2.

I was lucky enough to reserve for GMC Sierra EV Denali. Reservations were full within 20 minutes of opening.
The 107k model is too rich for my blood, but Elevation or AT4 i would definitely consider.

I'm excited about more mainstream auto makers getting into the BEV game, esp. in the pickup sector. But won't be plunking down $100k on any first-draft attempt guaranteed to have more than a few kinks, to be worked out in subsequent model years. Glad I don't need a new pickup for a few years, so I can watch the early adopters help them fix these issues, before I'm shopping again.

Average new car pricing over the next few years, thanks almost entirely to PHEV's and BEV's, may be the only thing inflating faster than US college prices.

not enough competition now. In 24 months genenal EV and EV truck the landscape will look very different. All the models with maybe the ford and canoe as exceptions are luxury trucks. My question is are value oriented buyers more or less likely to overlook shortcomings when compared to to luxury buyers. Another angle will Tesla’s sell you the moon up front and keep dangling the promise in front of you without delivering model be the norm?

You can still buy a decent older smaller house in my area with insulation (yes many were built without), gas heat, newer HVAC, a small yard in a decent school district about an hour from the city for 100k. It may need new cabinets, new flooring, landscaping updates but nothing major. Good bones as they say.

Paying 100k for a truck, or more as we are headed, seems extremely painful to me.

Practically I need to get back into a truck, and either sell or be ok with garaging a sport sedan.

I like the way RAMs look inside. Ford interiors are terrible, even in their raptors Im embarrassed for their owners. Long ago I tested thoroughly many trucks, and RAM was the least performer for me. NOw, they seem to be flipping the script. I have a friend who owns a TRX and he LOVES it. It's mean looking, rides nice, and crushes off road and the snow.

RAM doesnt have an electric truck yet.
I would trust being a first gen owner of a Ford electric truck though.

These are 1st world decisions for sure.

100K+ ... Did I read that correctly?!?!?
I paid less than that for my Chevy Malibu (2018) and my 2 GMC Sierra 2500 Cargo Vans (2018 & 2019) combined.
That kind of money for a vehicle staggers my mind.
yep. This is why my new 2020 is a gasser. Tried to justify PHEV and BEV options, but at literally 1.7x cost for less… I just couldn’t.

Reactions: Dan Freeman

Canoo Pickup (2023?)

i don't think i could ever use an EV. i saw them run a Ford lightning to Alaska to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. Charging was a nightmare but they did it . They took a FORD 150 chase vehicle. Good reviews and tests on Fast Lane Trucks. they did a gerat overview on the Rivan https://www.youtube.com/c/TFLtruck. They compare all the EV Pick ups. Non bias too. Suggest it to anyone looking into buying them. Not for me though.

Reactions: boomfire
You can still buy a decent older smaller house in my area with insulation (yes many were built without), gas heat, newer HVAC, a small yard in a decent school district about an hour from the city for 100k. It may need new cabinets, new flooring, landscaping updates but nothing major. Good bones as they say.

Paying 100k for a truck, or more as we are headed, seems extremely painful to me.

Practically I need to get back into a truck, and either sell or be ok with garaging a sport sedan.

I like the way RAMs look inside. Ford interiors are terrible, even in their raptors Im embarrassed for their owners. Long ago I tested thoroughly many trucks, and RAM was the least performer for me. NOw, they seem to be flipping the script. I have a friend who owns a TRX and he LOVES it. It's mean looking, rides nice, and crushes off road and the snow.

RAM doesnt have an electric truck yet.
I would trust being a first gen owner of a Ford electric truck though.

These are 1st world decisions for sure.
And top 25% of the first world to boot. It does help realize how cheap the ICE units are/were being produced.

I'm sure I will get plenty of factual responses to this statement but...
I just can't figure out why hybrids haven't taken off more. Best of both worlds...

I just can't figure out why hybrids haven't taken off more. Best of both worlds...
One word: cost.

Check Volvo for just one of a few examples. In 2020, we could by the sport version of the ICE T6 wagon for something like $45k. The PHEV version was around $78k.

Putting most of the working bits of an EV plus and ICE into the same vehicle is not going to make for low cost.

Reactions: woodgeek
Volvo says that it won't take long for the cost of BEVs to drop below the cost of ICE vehicles. The CEO of Volvo is not one for overstatements. He knows and understands the technology better than many other auto CEOs.

I am more surprised that no one else has taken the approach of the volt. A small gas motor used to generate power and small batteries for reserve power when needed. It's far less complicated that the other hybrid approaches on the market.

I am more surprised that no one else has taken the approach of the volt. A small gas motor used to generate power and small batteries for reserve power when needed. It's far less complicated that the other hybrid approaches on the market.
I've wanted to see the same with a small diesel.

Reactions: Vg3200p
Volvo says that it won't take long for the cost of BEVs to drop below the cost of ICE vehicles. The CEO of Volvo is not one for overstatements. He knows and understands the technology better than many other auto CEOs.
I agree I don't think it will take long at all. Just look at the progress made in such a short timespan already

I've wanted to see the same with a small diesel.
Yeah they have been doing it with locomotives for a very long time and that works really well. I still think total electric will eventually take over. But that approach seems so much simpler than the others

Reactions: Shank
The Volt has a complex drivetrain and battery management system. I love it, and GM did a good job, but the system is not simple. VIA did adapt the drivetrain into a Chevy Silverado and a cargo van. They reviewed well, but were only available to lease fleets.

Reactions: bholler
Yeah they have been doing it with locomotives for a very long time and that works really well. I still think total electric will eventually take over. But that approach seems so much simpler than the others
I’ve threatened to build one, but that would take a lot of funding reserved for other life tasks.

Reactions: bholler
Agreed on BEV's. No doubt they'll be cheaper at some point soon, they're simpler with fewer moving parts, the cost right now is likely driven by R&D costs combined with low volume.

But @walhondingnashua's question and my response were both about hybrids, and I expect they'll always be more expensive than similar BEV's.

Yes, they will cost more, but for towing a hybrid system makes sense for pickups. The main issue with a BEV truck like the Ford Lightning is that the range plummets when towing.

This video by Sam Evans is an interesting overview of the developing EV market and GM's approach:
]

Reactions: Ashful
Toyotas hybrid is a marvel of engineering. Google Weeber auto YouTube to see a really detailed tear down. Their planetary CVT is really what all CVTs should have been. No silly metal belts.

I love my plug in hybrid Rav 4 Prime but its complexity is daunting. First car I am considering buying a extended warranty even though its Toyota.

I love my plug in hybrid Rav 4 Prime but its complexity is daunting. First car I am considering buying a extended warranty even though its Toyota.
If you haven’t watched the transmission tear down it’s worth your time. Playing the warranty game mode loose but I’ve won on my van (3rd party lifetime, dealer is always happy to see me show up I’m much more likely to get work done and have the dealer do the work).

Yes, they will cost more, but for towing a hybrid system makes sense for pickups. The main issue with a BEV truck like the Ford Lightning is that the range plummets when towing.

This video by Sam Evans is an interesting overview of the developing EV market and GM's approach:
]

Cool video, but I hope he mis-spoke at 2:50? 671 charge cycles and the battery life drops by 80%? I hope not, people would be looking to ditch and trade way sooner than that. I suspect he means it drops to 80%, not by 80%.