1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Beware of claims that Italian or Euro pellet stoves are superior?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MCPO, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Igniter, that's what a little gel and matches were made for.

The tricky thing with that stove as I understand it was to get the ash extraction system just right.

Oh, it was a multi fuel unit to boot.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    It is possible that the best European (and American!) Pellet stoves are truly twice as efficient as the worse ones......

Some extensive testing would have to be done to prove this - but way back when, some in-home tests were done on Pellet stoves and the difference was vast...even though all claimed high efficiency.

I think it would be fair to say that the best Pellet stoves might be 50% more efficient than some models of yesteryear or poor quality units.

But so many other factors are important - OSA temperature and feed, pellets, adjustments, rate that stove is run at, etc.

I would expect that advances in technology, if and when applied to pellet stoves, would tune them up even more.
    DexterDay likes this.
  3. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    I think it`s a reasonable expectation that a new stove with the latest tech built into it would perform better and be more efficient than the older ones .
    I just question how much more .
    BUT , we do know there`s always a certain amount of fluff in the ads and ad literature where the product would rarely live up to . And lets not forget testing is usually done under the best controlled environments and probably not able to be accurately duplicated in our homes. Manufacturer testing would almost certainly be exaggerated or skewed .
    Still, I`m sure many of the new pellet stoves are a valid improvement.
  4. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    The season isn't over yet and I agree that once I fire the stove down for the last time, 40% will probably not be the final number. It's colder here this year and the stove keeps track of hours in operation. I will figure out the pounds per hour used at the end of the season. I am 3 bags away from using my 1st ton of pellets ( I have the receipts)The Palazzetti reburns the gases as they exit the firepot. There is not one but two heat exchangers. The overall size of the heat exchanger area is large compared to both my previous stoves. Exhaust exiting the 5 foot outiside pellet vent are around 180 degrees, far less than the norm of 350-500 degrees of my Quad. :cool:
  5. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    On Ebay, Far West Sales in Oregon. $2250.00 freight included. My wife and I sold our second house and closing is on Monday, may not be able to meet with you this Sunday:)
  6. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    No reason to apologize, so far the stove has been a real pellet miser;)
  7. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    The Fireplace Showcase, about 3 miles from me is the distributor and importer for Palazzetti. I think he may have sold his distribution though...

I wouldn't be so surprised to find some of the best names in the business to have rather weak efficiency numbers. To what detriment is publishing great number, however you arrive at them. People love the Audi A8 as a luxury car but it is the worlds biggest carbon polluter...boasting something like 10.2 miles per gallon

I can tell you that it's not uncommon to have 300::For even 500::F temps flowing out of a pellet vent...just don't clean it....and that would go for the Palazzetti too I'm sure
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.
  8. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    And to think that people get peeved when the ministers preach the gospel of a clean stove and vent system.
  9. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I could believe it, pellet stoves compete with propane and oil its not much competition even with a inefficient model. The incentive to improve is not there especially when the US has terrible standards for measuring efficiency. One just has to look at AFUE is calculated and used in marketing.
  10. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I spoke with Palazzetti distributer Adam B and parts are stocked in Mass. and several retailers selling them in my area. There here to stay according to Adam and Fireside showcase is selling and servicing the stove. :)
  11. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Phil D. likes this.
  12. skibumm100

skibumm100 Member

Loc:
    southern NH
    I like the way you think Smokey. The bigger, the better, within reason.
  13. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Adam is an outside sales person, represents a lot of product
    Phil D. likes this.
  14. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
  15. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The thing with heat exchangers is that you have to wash both sides with gases (in this case) and you need a decent temperature differential between the two sides to allow conduction to transfer the heat from what is on one side to the other at a decent rate through the exchanger.

Quite a bit of heat is still in the system even after shutdown has occurred in some stoves and a fraction of this can find its way up the flue.
  16. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    That there is k value
  17. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

show me a stove which "outputs" 60Kbtu with an EPA certification unless it burns 9 lbs an hour its BS unless its 90+ % efficient in heat transfer its a lie
  18. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    I call it an inefficiency but then I get disgusted at a lot of things.

But what really get me p*ssed off is that stupid 3 factor non measured formula that gets used to provide the efficiency figure attached to all but the certified stoves.

It is just one big assumption and leads to threads like this.

On the forum last night a fellow asked if he should use the mag setting in the manual or the lower setting that was sending a lot hotter air out of the stove. Several things came to mind, his meter wasn't quite accurate, he hadn't let the stove reach equilibrium, the manual was wrong, or he forgot the part that the damper setting is only a starting point and from there you use the trims to adjust for the fuel in the stove.

I chose to say nothing as I want to see the responses he gets.

It seems that a lot of folks forget the entire picture and home in on one little thing, things rarely work that way.
    Bioburner and tjnamtiw like this.