Beyond My Equipment Level..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ductape

Jul 16, 2008
Central NH
AND my skill set. So i decided i'd better pay a professional to bring down my old Sugar Maple. It had been on a down hill slide for a few years, with decent sized limbs blowing down with every windy day. Anything that isn't punky will be firewood. Best i could count, there are +/- 110 rings....... and she was 47" at the butt. Here are some pics..... i'll update as my firewood pile grows.

MapleTree016.jpg

MapleTree013.jpg

MapleTree004.jpg

MapleTree032.jpg

MapleTree039.jpg

MapleTree021.jpg

I chipped most of what would fit in my old chipper and used my cordwood saw to zip up most of the smaller limbs.

MapleTree164.jpg

SugarMaple004.jpg

My 372XP made short work of the trunk.......... had to cut from both sides with my 24" bar. Looks like i'll need to quarter all the big rounds to get them on my splitter, since my tractor will barely lift them. I've still got a pile of limbs to clean up...... unfortunately they are now covered with snow. I've split and stackes close to a cord so far. Looks like i've got alot more work ahead of me.

SugarMaple008.jpg

SugarMaple003-1.jpg

SugarMaple002-1.jpg

SugarMaple005.jpg

Ductape said:
I chipped most of what would fit in my old chipper ...
It's a shame to chip up that size you show in the pic. You know there are people burning camel dung that would kill for some wood like that.

Shame to lose a big tree like that, but when it's time, it's time.

I think Vegas the over-under at 5 cords.

Lots of good firewood there. It is good to see someone still using a buzz saw too, but I would have saved that one you put into the chipper, especially when using a buzz saw.

All in all, a good days work even though you still have more work to come. Bucking up those big ones can be fun!

Agreed that i did chip some that i'd normally burn, but the top ended up over the property line and (though my neighbors are reasonable) i felt time to clean up was of the essence. I was guessing 4+ cord. We've got a bunch of saplings and i plan to plant near whrere this one was. Hopefully i can get more splitting time in this week.

Cool shots. Big stinkin' tree!

Ductape That looks like a real handy attachment for the tongs. Is that a custom made setup? Tongs sure do save the old back.

Thats the size I do all the time. Bet there is 4 3/4 to 5 1/2 cords there.

NHFarmer said:
Ductape That looks like a real handy attachment for the tongs. Is that a custom made setup? Tongs sure do save the old back.

I have a small set which worked fine when i was cutting 16" firewood. We got a larger stove since, and they don't open wide enough. I needed something in a pinch, and made this set-up with some stuff i had hanging around. Two forged J hooks, some chain, and a couple rings. I had to do a little grinding to put a bit of a point on the end of the hooks. It works great, but i will end up buying some larger tongs at some point in the near future. The scissor action of a set of tongs would be better for sure.

SugarMaple001.jpg

SugarMaple003.jpg

SugarMaple002.jpg

nice tong setup for sure. Do you have any close up pics of the quick detach attachment on the loader?

"beyond my skillset" ;)
Many of us I'm sure (me included) are in awe of the portion of that job you ARE doing. Very nice!

get-r-done

I'm really envious of your 'bota. Must be nice to have a FEL and the 3PH attachments.

NHFarmer said:
Do you have any close up pics of the quick detach attachment on the loader?

Is this what you meant? I don't have anything more detailed than this handy. Probably took me a weekend to put together. I bought the three 2x2 reciever tubes, the rest of the steel i had hanging around leftover from other projects, along with the skidsteer QA plate. It comes in handy for moving my trailer around the yard or lifting stuff.

3194.jpg

3199.jpg

Thanx for the pics they are excellent! That's an amazing setup you have with the Kubota as it looks like the ultimate toy! I am guessing that tree will give you 4-5 cords what is your estimate?

Ray

I have a Deere about that size .
I need some more toys.

I'm not using it enough.

If this were a dirt and rock forum I'd have pics of some whoppers.

Need to measure the DBH in order to compare it to others. The base size can vary quite a bit depending on type of tree, growing conditions,...

"Beyond your equipment level???"

Jeesh, I feel like a Neanderthal with a saw fashioned from an Elk jawbone compared to all the gear you've got........:>)

Nice score on the wood--it sure will burn nice!!

NP

Thanks for the pics.
It' nice to see how the pro's do it.
If we all could just have 1/2 of the equipment they do, we'd all have 20 cords seasoned & 20 cords seasoning.
Time & youth to do it may have a little to do with it too.
Millions of btus there, good job

Nice pics...that close to the house I think you made the right move.

Nice pics. That attachment looks real handy as it has so many uses. Nice welding. I can see that will have to be on my wish list.

LLigetfa said:
I'm really envious of your 'bota. Must be nice to have a FEL and the 3PH attachments.

That tractor is the shiznit. Painting your attachment the same color is way cool.

You have a very nice toy collection. :exclaim:

Status
Not open for further replies.