Big box store Pellet comparing! List and mini review!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Medreach said:
JTakeman, I would also take interest in the total weight of the bag if the bag is overfilled or underfilled. High density vs. low density pellets and the overall color of the pellet. Dark, Medium, Light pellets

The density is hard to measure. I don't have the equipment for that. The weight I might takle. The color will be photo'd for you to compare. I will take samples from each product. Put them in a sample baggie and lable.

Anything else?

jay

I know the overall density of a pellet is hard to tell. But you can usually tell by the overall appearence of the bags next to each other. By high or low density pellets.. I think that helps a lot since stacking them can mean less space

Medreach said:
I know the overall density of a pellet is hard to tell. But you can usually tell by the overall appearence of the bags next to each other. By high or low density pellets.. I think that helps a lot since stacking them can mean less space
not sure if this is relative to what u guys are talkin about but when i had a bag of cubex next to a bag of spruce point the cubex bag looked bigger.....so when i put the spruce points in the hopper it took the whole bag with a little room to spare, where as any other 40 lb bag i put in to an empty hopper i couldn't get the whole bag in.

HEMI_1500 said:
Medreach said:
not sure if this is relative to what u guys are talkin about but when i had a bag of cubex next to a bag of spruce point the cubex bag looked bigger.....so when i put the spruce points in the hopper it took the whole bag with a little room to spare, where as any other 40 lb bag i put in to an empty hopper i couldn't get the whole bag in.

I'm pretty sure the softwood are going to be hi density. The only skinny bags I have are the Rockies, So all others are low density. I had some spare time so I weighed the bags today. Bath room scale. All are close to 40 on the nose. Maybe slightly under or over.

I picked up 2 bags of Bayou at HD. I am adding to the list. Still looking for:

Maine Woods(local TSC has but wont open a pallet), Michigans, Green Team and Stove Chow.

Thanks
jay

Riddle me this.

How come carrying a 40lb bag of hardwood pellets "feels" heavier than 40lb bag of softwood pellets? :lol:

jay, check Big Y, they have the Maine Woods and you can buy per bag, for the Greene Team maybe you can check the www.primopellets.com dealer in wallingford, perhaps not far from you.......

geek said:
jay, check Big Y, they have the Maine Woods and you can buy per bag, for the Greene Team maybe you can check the www.primopellets.com dealer in wallingford, perhaps not far from you.......

Thanks geek, I'll check them next.

I have the Firesides in the stove now. I got my average temp of 228º. The fines are not to bad(About 1/2 a cup or so). Only burned 3/4 of a bag so far. The Rockies are complete. I'll post a picture of the mason jar with ash content soon!

I'll keep you posted

jay

Aubuchon Hardware is carrying Michigans. Not sure if you have Aubuchons in CT though???

SXIPro said:
Aubuchon Hardware is carrying Michigans. Not sure if you have Aubuchons in CT though???

I haven't seen any Aubuchons in CT. I found them though CTpellet has both Mainewoods and Michigans. I will take a run this week.

jay

SXIPro said:
Im burning north country right now made by michigan wood pellet there a good shoulder season pellet but thats it ,very ashy.Glad I paid cheap money for them.

mnkywrnch said:
Im burning north country right now made by michigan wood pellet there a good shoulder season pellet but thats it ,very ashy.Glad I paid cheap money for them.

I can get the North country pellets here too! $259/ton from a pellet house. I thought it was too good to be true so I passed on them.

Check post 1 Rockies results are in!

Attachments

• rockies.jpg
    rockies.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 1 Rockies a.jpg
    1 Rockies a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 745
jtakeman said:
mnkywrnch said:

I can get the North country pellets here too! $259/ton from a pellet house. I thought it was too good to be true so I passed on them.

Nice post Jay very informative, the ashes from the Rockies if it was two bags,that's what you will get from 1 of the Michigan's BTW I got the north country for $229 and I picked up myself that's the only reason I bought them.

mnkywrnch said:
jtakeman said:
mnkywrnch said:

Nice post Jay very informative, the ashes from the Rockies if it was two bags,that's what you will get from 1 of the Michigan's BTW I got the north country for $229 and I picked up myself that's the only reason I bought them.

1/2 a jar was more than I expected from them. I wonder how much I'll get from the mainewoods?

Anyway I am almost done with the firesides Ultra's. About 1/2 a bag left. There is a sign I am not pleased with. The glass is covered with black stuff??? But we will have to wait a day or so to see the ash content.

I think The prest o logs will go in next. then the infernos? Or maybe the Bayou's after seeing the post with the stove all messed up!

jay

Fireside Ultras are finish and I am not impressed with there performance. About 3/4 of a jar of ash. Its over the 2 1/2 cup mark. Black soot on the glass! Heat output was OK.

You be the judge. Beaten by the Rockies.

Check post 1 Fireside results are in!
jay

Attachments

• Firesides.jpg
    Firesides.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 986
  • 2 firesides a.jpg
    2 firesides a.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 737
jtakeman said:
Fireside Ultras are finish and I am not impressed with there performance. About 3/4 of a jar of ash. Its over the 2 1/2 cup mark. Black soot on the glass! Heat output was OK.

Also here is a photo of the samples so far. Yes the Prest O Logs are darker than the others! I will get the temps tonight.

jay

Does the darkness of the pellet tell you anything about how they burn?

Attachments

• green Team.jpg
    green Team.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,268
ok, i see.

I agree with BTU, color means nothing to me now, my Greene Team Gold Premium are VERY dark, but boy these pellets burn GREAT and smell great...!!!

Check post 1 Presto Logs results are in

All I can say is I am not impressed with them.

Infernos are burning. Still getting temps. Fines are the worst so far and pellets crumble easily. Update: They have been burning for better than an hour and the temps are the lowest so far. I had to put the dampar on the lowest setting EVER. They absolutely don't throw any heat period. I have a feeling I will have to turn the stove up another setting just to keep the house warm. These things are JUNK. macman was right! Not even worth buying these. I am voting these for the 2009/2010 MUSHY award! They have a pretty picture on the bag though! BUYERS BEWARE! I think I need a bigger jar for the ash collection too!

EDIT: Temp is 185º average.
Lowest average temperature of any pellet I have tested to date! Yes even the ACP put out more temp than these!

YUK!
jay

P.S. Wife came home with 2 bags of Michigans from True Value hardware. $5.99/bag. (She is even getting into the pellet hunting).

Attachments

• Pres to logs.jpg
    Pres to logs.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 775
  • 3 Pres to Logs a.jpg
    3 Pres to Logs a.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 604
Jay,

The Lowe's in Danbury has a lot of variety right now- including Greene Team in the white bag, Eco- Flames, Presto-logs, Inferno, Greenway, Corinth, and a few others (one I recall being in a brownish bag from Wisconsin, believe it was Marth?). I wish I wrote them down.

I have not seen such variety and actual quality at a big box, all for $245 a ton and delivery is $65 flat no matter the number of tons. Corinth and the Eco-Flames at that price point are great deals.

-M

mapezzul said:
Jay,

The Lowe's in Danbury has a lot of variety right now- including Greene Team in the white bag, Eco- Flames, Presto-logs, Inferno, Greenway, Corinth, and a few others (one I recall being in a brownish bag from Wisconsin, believe it was Marth?). I wish I wrote them down.

I have not seen such variety and actual quality at a big box, all for $245 a ton and delivery is $65 flat no matter the number of tons. Corinth and the Eco-Flames at that price point are great deals.

-M

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to take a little ride! (What ever you do, Don't buy any INFERNO's).

jay

jtakeman said:
Just picked up some Inferno pellets at Price Choppers. But they didn't chop the price $6.99 a bag OUCH!

jay

I just returned 3 of 4 bags I bought of infernos.4.99 lowes. Tons of fines tons of small jagged edges. Alot of ash.The stove chows for the same price at HD Much better !!

investor7952 said:
jtakeman said:
Just picked up some Inferno pellets at Price Choppers. But they didn't chop the price $6.99 a bag OUCH!

jay

I just returned 3 of 4 bags I bought of infernos.4.99 lowes. Tons of fines tons of small jagged edges. Alot of ash.The stove chows for the same price at HD Much better !!

The Infernos are horrible, They are no deal at any price! IMO.

Stove Chow is on my list. Just haven't found any yet. I will try the Bayou's next.

jay

BTU said:
joefraser said:
jtakeman said:

Also here is a photo of the samples so far. Yes the Prest O Logs are darker than the others! I will get the temps tonight.

jay

Does the darkness of the pellet tell you anything about how they burn?

NO...that is an old wife's tale.. You can't tell how good/bad a pellet is by it's color, you have to burn it to find out.

I do have to disagree just a tiny bit. Sometimes pellets that are too dry will turn a dark brown, almost burned looking on the outside. They will not burn well.

Samantha Eldredge
Quality
Corinth Wood Pellets

jtakeman said:
Medreach said:
JTakeman, I would also take interest in the total weight of the bag if the bag is overfilled or underfilled. High density vs. low density pellets and the overall color of the pellet. Dark, Medium, Light pellets

The density is hard to measure. I don't have the equipment for that. The weight I might takle. The color will be photo'd for you to compare. I will take samples from each product. Put them in a sample baggie and lable.

Anything else?

jay

Jay, if you can find a 1 cubic foot container you can measure density. PM me for instructions on this if you would like them. As for density differences between hardwood and softwood, there shouldn't be any if all of the parameters are met. This is because of the die size used, the wood fiber is compacted the same. Diameter on both range from .25 to .26 mm.

Samantha Eldredge
Quality
Corinth Wood Pellets

saturngirl1 said:
jtakeman said:
Medreach said:

Anything else?

jay

Jay, if you can find a 1 cubic foot container you can measure density. PM me for instructions on this if you would like them. As for density differences between hardwood and softwood, there shouldn't be any if all of the parameters are met. This is because of the die size used, the wood fiber is compacted the same. Diameter on both range from .25 to .26 mm.

Samantha Eldredge
Quality
Corinth Wood Pellets

Samantha, Thanks for giving us you veiws, Its nice having the pellets represented here. I will PM for instructions. But they all seem about the same to me. The Rockies where mabe a tad denser than the others. Or they were mishandle and the bag seemed skinny compared to the others.

Mind if I compare your pellets in this? Do you think this is a fair comparision? Am I missing anything??

Thanks
jay

Status
Not open for further replies.