Big Cherry Popped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Blew down Friday winds about 40 to 50 mph,this thing is 81 feet long,will cut her up soon, big cherry.jpg enough wood on my property down to keep me busy all summer and next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be some decent value to those logs, Cherry lumber is HOT right now.

There's some nice cherry's in that stand, as far lumber sales, I know almost zero about it, strait wood is good though and a I see 3 other nice tree's there

I have a similar one down, not quite as big. It's a split tree like yours only one came down.

are you going to attempt to sell the logs?
looks like some decent sawlogs . . . whats the diameter of those 2 stems at chest height?

Not worth it,those who buy the stuff offer peanuts,been there before Amish are the worst,nothing you have is worth anything but everything they have is triple retail.That cherry would rot before I;d let a timber guy have it.

Reactions: kennyp2339
There's some nice cherry's in that stand, as far lumber sales, I know almost zero about it, strait wood is good though and a I see 3 other nice tree's there
Tons of cherry

[QUOTE="ohlongarm, post: 2264810, member: 17654.That cherry would rot before I;d let a timber guy have it.[/QUOTE] Stand your ground brother

just like junk yards or used steel shops buy low sell high.

In Western Maryland the Black Cherry all went over to Japan at least in the 90's. So much so they cut out the middle man and bought two sawmills there. Just to say. Above 1500 feet the stuff grows strait as an arrow usually. Under that elevation you would be luck to get much out of it for the crooks. Nobody seems to know why elevation plays a role.

Not worth it,those who buy the stuff offer peanuts,been there before Amish are the worst,nothing you have is worth anything but everything they have is triple retail.That cherry would rot before I;d let a timber guy have it.

I am a timber buyer LOL! landowners with that attitude are the ones I don't walk away from- I RUN AWAY FROM THEM. don't worry I am several hours east of you; no hard feelings bro

They really dont look large enough doameter to be worth a whole lot.

They really dont look large enough doameter to be worth a whole lot.

LOL ,i'll take a picture tomorrow of my cherry trees and post them,ya'll can then tell me what you think,I've got unscrupulous timber buyers begging to cut em,no thank you,i don't like an arse reaming and furthermore I don't need the pennies you're offering,not to mention walnuts straight as arrows 40to 50 feet tall,huge sugar maples,ash trees 3ft in diameter. Worth more to me as heat .

Reactions: vtwoodheater
LOL ,i'll take a picture tomorrow of my cherry trees and post them,ya'll can then tell me what you think,I've got unscrupulous timber buyers begging to cut em,no thank you,i don't like an arse reaming and furthermore I don't need the pennies you're offering,not to mention walnuts straight as arrows 40to 50 feet tall,huge sugar maples,ash trees 3ft in diameter. Worth more to me as heat .
I am only referring to the one down in the pic. I dont see that that has very much value as a saw log. Ash has no value now. Sugar maple isnt worth allot either. But around here big cherry or walnut demands a pretty high price.

I am only referring to the one down in the pic. I dont see that that has very much value as a saw log. Ash has no value now. Sugar maple isnt worth allot either. But around here big cherry or walnut demands a pretty high price.

Just saying,I cut nothing unless it's dead or falls ,I've got cherry here that are huge big ,time,will post a few pics tomorrow on day off. No pics didn't happen ,Right?

Out of curiosity what do you think someone would offer you for that fallen cherry? Never sold lumber so I'm genuinely curious.

Out of curiosity what do you think someone would offer you for that fallen cherry? Never sold lumber so I'm genuinely curious.
Five years ago I had two Amish out here timber buyers they offered $100 a tree for 100 trees ,all cherry,a few huge ash,and about 20 walnut,I bid them farewell. Will never sell one tree off this property. Tomorrow I'll post a few pictures of some of the trees here.Found three more cherry windfalls ,all less than 20 in diameter.

Reactions: Woody5506