Big E OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbatzold

Sep 26, 2008
Central NY
I've seen some use the metal OAK and seen some using flexible pvc/plastic for their OAK. Does the tube for the OAK on the big E get hot or is there a worry about a backdraft from it?

I used pvc , I have never noticed that it was hot , and I have touched it when stove was running. I did not notice any difference from having it attached , or not attached.

I have metal OAK on all my Big E's - it never gets hot. If anything pulling in the air from outside it is sometimes cool/cold

Thanks for the idea of using PVC. I was thinking of using metal but I would think PVC wouldn't conduct as much cold as metal pulling in that refreshing Maine winter air. One question though. Wouldn't you want to attach the pipe to the stove so that you don't get a free flow of air into the house?

Thanks for the ideas

I used the flexable vent from home cheapo. 3" 8 feet long. Think it was about 10 bucks. I bought a dryer vent and a 4"to 3" adapter to connect. I had to remove the flap in the dryer vent. The whole bill was less than $25 clams. The duct always was cold. Stove ran about the same with or without. I only notice less draft under the front door. I do wish there was a preheater or warmer for the OAK!

If the house is drafty or tight I recommend the OAK!

jay

This info is just what I need. I'm in the process of installing my Big-E and what to use an OAK. Keep up the good work!

Tom

I apologize ahead of time for not knowing any better,......What is a "Big E" ???

snikr said:
This info is just what I need. I'm in the process of installing my Big-E and what to use an OAK. Keep up the good work!

Tom

FYI - Don't ever plan on using the stove at the "1" setting. It will barley stay lit. "2" is low and "4" is high

buildingmaint said:
I have a friend who only uses his stove on the # 1 setting, his works fine.
Time will tell in my case but it should work OK on #1 as long as you set the damper correctly.

Tom

buildingmaint said:
I have a friend who only uses his stove on the # 1 setting, his works fine.

I have the OAK with the damper closed and it BARELY stays lit

My bigE had a 1/2" inch hole in damper plate. I reduced it to 3/8' and all worked well.

I made my own plate or you could weld yours. Some have put a gate vavle on the OAK pipe. This will allow very fine adjustment. Not all bigE had an issue.

Maybe the one's that are fine on #1 setting can messure the hole in damper plate. I remember mine was 1/2" or just slightly larger.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.