Big E Owners - Glass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
Big E "furnace" with the small glass window. My flame licks the glass no matter what the draft is set at. Using heat #3 and thermostat with on/off mode. The glass is almost non-transparent after one burn session and all you see is a "glow" after a day of burning. Is this normal for all or is something out of adjustment? Burning Presto-logs at the moment which seem to be fine by me, good heat, no smoke, etc.

Also - there is no seal on the top and bottom of the glass, only the sides. Is this correct?

I have the same stove, glass is hard to keep clear, /clean, no gasket on bottom and top of glass,is used as a air wash to keep glass clean, when my stove is cranking, flame might lick the glass a little. I use the High /Low with a programable stat , easier on the igniter and saves pellets.Hope this helped. PS it takes about 20 hours for my glass to get dirty.

Thanks. Sounds pretty normal then. The airwash doesn't do anything though. With it getting colder now here overnight, I was thinking of switching to hi/lo with the thermostat instead of off/on. Not sure how much it would save me. Right now its kicking on every hour or 1.5hrs overnight using the Breckwell wireless RF thermostat with 1deg swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.