BIG E Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a mechanical snap switch. If you can pull the cover off and clean the contacts on the lever or any type of contacts you can see. Either contact cleaner or 90% alcohol and also look for any moving parts that may have broken or look to be in the wrong position. That tstat should work forever.

To test the wires you will need to pull them off the board on the stove, connect them together and then at the other end do the continuity test (the arrow symbol) one probe to each wire. If it shows a closed circuit the wires are good, if the meter doesn't change then you have a bad wire somewhere..

It has a mechanical snap switch. If you can pull the cover off and clean the contacts on the lever or any type of contacts you can see. Either contact cleaner or 90% alcohol and also look for any moving parts that may have broken or look to be in the wrong position. That tstat should work forever.
only had 70% but still cleaned everything ...
time to test ... have to shut it down then will try a refire ..

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet cleaning the contacts ... cuz she fired right up ... now going to use high/low mode and see how that works as it is supposed to be better on the stove ...

THANK YOU AGAIN !!!

Reactions: FirepotPete
high/low working great now ...
just have to set the air flow and we are good for another winter !!!

I saw this earlier but didn't want to jinx ya with a big alright! Hopefully still cranking along for ya and will through this winter. Amazing the little things. Hope that's all it was. Other than the frustration and time involved for you to trouble shoot, it is a very affordable fix!

Thanks for the help Pete! Had to run to town for groceries ... and I'm useless when it comes to multi-meters anyways. One of these days I have to sit down and teach myself...

So is connie mad again or is she happy?? Glad to hear it was just a contact cleaning.

HE (hahahaha) me, is still cooking this morning !!! High/low working as advertised as this is actually the first time ever I have used that mode ...

After reading I understand that may be the most effective way to heat and best on the user parts ...

THANK YOU AGAIN

Reactions: FirepotPete
HE (hahahaha) me, is still cooking this morning !!! High/low working as advertised as this is actually the first time ever I have used that mode ...

After reading I understand that may be the most effective way to heat and best on the user parts ...

THANK YOU AGAIN
Sorry ;em Glad to hear it's working ... can't do anything about the cooking! That's up to you and the thermostat.;lol

GREAT! Hope it serves you well. Stop back and let us know any tricks you find to running your stove. The more info the better, it can save someone else some day. I know myself that my stove would have probably been to the curb after a month or so without forums like this. I mechanically inclined, electrician, I&C Tech but still would not have found out the little tricks to really make it work.

Happy New Year All!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.