Big E-where to install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New here and just wanted some input on where to install the Big E we are buying (before it is delivered!)

I live in a 2-story, 100 yr old house with an unfinished basement. It's just been fully insulated via blow-in type insulation. I have a small, back room adjacent to the kitchen where the Big E will fit, but it is also adjacent to an unfinished (but insulated) back porch. There is a nice, heavy door between the back porch and the back room area but cold air still seeps in under the door.

Would locating the stove in the back room be pointless considering the cold air coming out of the back porch? If it was located there is it possible to heat the whole house using just the stove? The house is roughly 1700 sq., most of that on the first floor.

Also, is it possible to install it in the unfinished basement and have the heat rise through the floor grates (the old fashioned kind) to the first floor & add a blower to get heat to the second floor or would installing it in the basement defeat the overall whole house heating purpose?

I've been reading a lot of the posts here over the past week and know you "regulars" will be able to give me some wise advice!

My advise is put the stove in the room or as close to it, that your family spends most of it's time in. Putting a stove in an unfinished basement will not help "much" if no one is down there to enjoy the direct heat. A stove on a back porch that only has a man door connecting it to the rest of the house will not do much good when everyone is watching tv in the frontroom. I would not want a vent pipe sticking out the front of my house but you have to look at all options.

Eric

From all I'd read I figured the basement wouldn't be a great choice, but hubby wanted me to find out for sure! The room I am thinking of is a back pantry and is adjacent to the kitchen and playroom where we spend most of our time. The only question about putting it there was its proximity to the unheated porch. I may have to see if I can rearrange the playroom so it can go in there instead.

My uncle is trying to get us to go the coal route, but I don't even want to go there! Wood or pellets but no coal.

Thanks for your input-
Kristin

Status
Not open for further replies.