Big Flame units? Coming from wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
I'm going to be building a custom home next year. While I'd love to stay with wood like I have now, I think gas might be more appropriate for our lifestyle (young kids, busy schedules, etc).

What brands/units would I like and not be disappointed in weak/small flames and low heat? It will be in a great room so as much radiant heat would be better since convection heat will go up to the second floor/ceiling. I will have a large fan running slowly in winter mode to help.

Acucraft is out of the budget even though this is a higher end home.

I have a 39" propane fueled "Bentley" by Marquis, also known as Kingsman Fireplace. We installed it about 6 years ago from scratch and it's performed flawlessly. It's the "HE" version that's heater rated, with ceramic glass. It does use a screen instead of the air cooled double pane system. There are definitely more expensive units out there, but the Bentley throws a very good sized and robust flame. My fireplace is using a gas nozzle one size down from the nozzle installed at the factory and still throws an impressive flame. One of the benefits of the Bentley is that it's very customizable with different surrounds, interiors, log sets, glass media, stones, etc. They make a 42" and a 48" version as well. A masonry wood burning fireplace will always be the ultimate but you can't beat the ease and convenience of picking up the remote and having a fire!

FP.jpg

Reactions: Lennox65
I have a 39" propane fueled "Bentley" by Marquis, also known as Kingsman Fireplace. We installed it about 6 years ago from scratch and it's performed flawlessly. It's the "HE" version that's heater rated, with ceramic glass. It does use a screen instead of the air cooled double pane system. There are definitely more expensive units out there, but the Bentley throws a very good sized and robust flame. My fireplace is using a gas nozzle one size down from the nozzle installed at the factory and still throws an impressive flame. One of the benefits of the Bentley is that it's very customizable with different surrounds, interiors, log sets, glass media, stones, etc. They make a 42" and a 48" version as well. A masonry wood burning fireplace will always be the ultimate but you can't beat the ease and convenience of picking up the remote and having a fire!

View attachment 324818
Kingsman fireplaces are bulletproof and may well be the best built fireplaces in the industry.
We have been a dealer for years. I recently replaced the pilot assembly on a unit that we installed 18 years ago.
This was the first service on the unit and it now runs like a brand new fireplace!

I am a HeatnGlo dealer so I am partial to their product.
The Phoenix42 is a large, high BTU fireplace. It is open faced, unlike other direct vent units which have a sealed glass panel.
There is a slight trade off with efficiency because of the open face but IMHO, unless the fireplace is the only source of heat, the slight difference in efficiencies between different units is negligible and would never even be a consideration for me.
The True Series are also large, high BTU fireplaces and the revamped 8KX is a good choice.

Reactions: Brooks89