Big flame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
sc0872 said:
Does a big flame indicate to much or not enough air.

Not enough. Does the flame have black tips and is it lazy?

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

As I see it, there are two kinds of big flames. Tall lazy and orange are a result of insufficient combustion air. Tall thin spiky bright yellow to white with a touch of blue on the bottom are high oxygenated (?) flames. You can generate those, but may not be able to transfer the heat to your room and the extra goes up the stack. My little stove really likes short white flames for transferring the heat. A good measure his how active the partially burned pellets are, like dancing popcorn, and if you have some sparks a' flyin'. Each stove is different, not just each brand. Mine works best in the range described above, but certainly you don't want a tall lazy flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.