Big Heat Sink

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Instead of having the LR temp jump up to 78 degrees and then cool, it would be nice to store that heat and release it slowly.

If it weren't unsightly and weird, it might be nice to have a big carboy or other container of water on the hearth. Anybody seen/tried something like that?

Well water does give up its heat slowly ...you might be on to something. Years ago with our 1st house we had baseboard hot water heat and long after the boiler turned off the water stayed warm...It was really nice...and even too, no big jumps in temp.

you could place bricks all on the top and outsides of your wood stove. when you lit the fire,
the stove will get hot but the bricks will soak up the heat for the first 3 hours before the room starts to warm up. it would be like a poor man's soap stone stove. Then the bricks would slowly give off their heat over the next 3 hours. I am probably wrong about the time, it could be 4 hr or 5 or even 6hr each way. you would have to try & see. I know my cement basement takes about 2 hours for the stove to warm it up 10 deg & i burn through a whole load of wood, about 4 to 6 hours to raise the baement to 90 deg but then the basement gives off heat to the whole house for the next 6 to 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.