big maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'alls eyes are bigger than your stomachs, so to speak, IMO. Bart's right about the crane, too.

The main stem is a at least a foot off the ground..Kinda judging by the height of the pickup and door opening the only 6 ft piece will be the bottom stump where it spreads.

My brother-in-law loves to talk and joke, i think the one about 5 cords, cut,split and stack and thats with no spark plug is a good joke...One night he told it and i finished it with he was having so much fun because the spark plug was up his backside the whole time. The quiet lasted about 3 minutes before he started running again. We still got another 10 lbs of moose meat that night.

Eric Johnson said:
Way too much work for the wood, IMO. Yard trees are notoriously hard to split and they're full of metal. And, you'd need a lot bigger bar than 18" to even think about tackling that momma.

Hey Eric-
Why are they full of metal?

Nokoni said:
Eric Johnson said:
Way too much work for the wood, IMO. Yard trees are notoriously hard to split and they're full of metal. And, you'd need a lot bigger bar than 18" to even think about tackling that momma.

Hey Eric-

Can be anything in the tree, nails, screws anything from kids screwing around..people posting signs on them...and tree goes around it...Many times along farm country you will see big trees where fence lines were..the stumps will be 3-4 ft tall...the farmer would string barb wire fencing and tree grows around...3 months ago was cutting up a big roadside sugar maple,,about 12-13 ft up found what looked like a license plate bracket a full third of the way into the tree the diameter of the log was around 32-34 inches..thought i was safe that far up...always fun sharping the saw after hitting something like that...especially when you hit the same SOB twice a foot apart!

Vintage 181 said:
Nokoni said:
Eric Johnson said:

Hey Eric-

Can be anything in the tree, nails, screws anything from kids screwing around..people posting signs on them...and tree goes around it...Many times along farm country you will see big trees where fence lines were..the stumps will be 3-4 ft tall...the farmer would string barb wire fencing and tree grows around...3 months ago was cutting up a big roadside sugar maple,,about 12-13 ft up found what looked like a license plate bracket a full third of the way into the tree the diameter of the log was around 32-34 inches..thought i was safe that far up...always fun sharping the saw after hitting something like that...especially when you hit the same SOB twice a foot apart!

Yup...in my case, the original owner of my property planted lots o trees around the place. Problem was, he put metal tree gaurds around many of them and never removed them once the trees got larger. Consequently I have a bunch of trees with these metal gaurds imbedded in the base. Some have died already and some are on their way out. I have to be careful when I take a tree down in my yard. Also I have a couple big shade trees that must have been a good spot for the dog, as there are steel pipes driven in the ground at the bases of the trees, and now the roots have grown around them. Nice...

If you can work it out, there's probably a cord or two just in decent branch wood. Tree that big, main limbs are probably 1-2 ft in diameter. Just about the largest I feel comfortable bringing down.

Steve

Hi -

I buddie and I cut an Oak that was in that condition (horizontal) and sixe. Cut the main trunck with a large manual crosscut saw. Two cuts an evening. Then loaded up the 2 rounds (8/4th's). It was not that big a deal. It was all done in 2 weeks.

The metal issue is scary. I would woory about that, but the sixe isn't a big problem. One does need to be careful not to cut to many limbs and cause the tree to rotate/move around.

ATB,
Mike P

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

I buddie and I cut an Oak that was in that condition (horizontal) and sixe. Cut the main trunck with a large manual crosscut saw. Two cuts an evening. Then loaded up the 2 rounds (8/4th's). It was not that big a deal. It was all done in 2 weeks.

The metal issue is scary. I would woory about that, but the sixe isn't a big problem. One does need to be careful not to cut to many limbs and cause the tree to rotate/move around.

ATB,
Mike P

That sounds like real work...

Ah to be young and blessesed with good old tools. It will keep the lard off!! I liek it better than square bailing hay! Honestly I'm a primitive man, build my own Flintlocks, ovten start fires with flint & steel, have a smokehouse.... The neighborhood kids get a lick out of it all.

ATB,
Mike P

Nokoni said:
Eric Johnson said:

Hey Eric-

Like Vintage 181 and jabush said, yard trees are always full of metal. Think about it: A tree that's 100 years old in a residential area has been subject to all sorts of indignities through the generations. I visit quite a few sawmills in the course of a year, and they all have collections of various things they've hit with the saw--often ruining the blades, which can run into the thousands of dollars to replace. You would not believe some of the things embedded in old trees--everything from axe heads to ceramic electric insulators to spikes to rocks to, well, you name it. The funniest one I've ever seen was a maple sap tap found in an oak log. One of the more impressive was a horseshoe cut with a bandsaw--twice. Time to replace the blade, AND the sawyer.

For this reason alone, sawmills will not knowingly buy or saw yard trees. A good rule of thumb is not to buy any log grown with 100 yards of any building. Metal detectors help some, but they can't pick up the ceramic insulators, which tend to do the most damage to a saw.

bruce56bb said:
Where is this “beast” of a tree located at anyway ?
council grove,ks.
Thats only 115 miles away. I thought i hear a "thud" from that big hog when it fell. Ha.

Attachments

• CAUBELAT.JPG
    CAUBELAT.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 285
bruce56bb said:
lol spike, i've never been to wymore. do know a guy from odell though.
Odell is right next door . By the way .........Quit sending "your tornadoes" up this way .............Ha ,.............send them East .

Steve said:
zzr7ky said:
Hi -

ATB,
Mike P

That sounds like real work...

That is the kind of work that separates the goats from the sheep..DAMN....Hand cutting that SOB.....I be passing out the Iced tea, lemonade, Budweiser....

Hi -

Liek I said we did just 2 cuts an evening. A cold one for a bracer. Cut, wedge, Cut, wedge, load, Cold one, Unload, and as often as not skip the last beer and head for a shower! I've got several old saws. I really do get a kick out of using them. It is a real man killer in hot weather like this though.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.