Downdraft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Megunticook

Apr 8, 2012
Maine
Very gusty this morning with rain and unseasonably warm (high forties). Power went out so made a fire to warm coffee water.

As fire was starting I noticed it suddenly died down. So I opened the ash door slightly for a minute to help. A gust of wind came and seemed to cause a downdraft. I saw smoke leaking out ash door followed by a small spray of embers. Yikes! Never saw that before. I was right there so immediately closed the ash door.

Once the fire got going the problem stopped.

Wind gusting to 50 from the south and outside air inlet is on north side of house. That plus weak initial draft due to warm outside temp. must've created the perfect storm.

Probably should've held off on the fire in such conditions.

Be careful out there!

Very gusty this morning with rain and unseasonably warm (high forties). Power went out so made a fire to warm coffee water.

As fire was starting I noticed it suddenly died down. So I opened the ash door slightly for a minute to help. A gust of wind came and seemed to cause a downdraft. I saw smoke leaking out ash door followed by a small spray of embers. Yikes! Never saw that before. I was right there so immediately closed the ash door.

Once the fire got going the problem stopped.

Wind gusting to 50 from the south and outside air inlet is on north side of house. That plus weak initial draft due to warm outside temp. must've created the perfect storm.

Probably should've held off on the fire in such conditions.

Be careful out there!
Opening the ash door with a fire going is never a good idea for many reasons

I've resorted to cracking it for a few seconds on occasion with me right by the stove. No harm done if very brief and closely attended. But I've never had a downdraft happen with the door cracked like that.

I've resorted to cracking it for a few seconds on occasion with me right by the stove. No harm done if very brief and closely attended. But I've never had a downdraft happen with the door cracked like that.
I have seen many many stoves with cracked bases due to doing that.

Be careful indeed with these winds; having an OAK means you don't see it immediatly if any hot gases or even embers get blown in there...

I had planned to start my stove as late as possible tonight; 54 for the high today (still 53 now), ad 27 for the low forecast. But only after 11 pm does it get below 45 F here. And it's *very* windy out here (too).

Be careful indeed with these winds; having an OAK means you don't see it immediatly if any hot gases or even embers get blown in there...

I had planned to start my stove as late as possible tonight; 54 for the high today (still 53 now), ad 27 for the low forecast. But only after 11 pm does it get below 45 F here. And it's *very* windy out here (too).
Yeah the wind was gusting hard out of the south today, very warm, now starting to blow out of the northwest and temps. are plummeting. Then another thaw coming this weekend.

It really looks to me like we're going to see some wild and somewhat frightening weather in 2024. I hope I'm wrong but there's no question that the pace of climate change is picking up and we're in for a wild ride.