A Question on Cold-Starting a Fully Loaded Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fatwood also smokes like a choo choo train.
Yeah it does. It's natural though and amazing for top down starts so I like using it. At the end of every burning season I usually have about a coffee can of very find black dust after sweeping and it's all from the fatwood. Not bad for 3-4 cords a year.

Reactions: ozarkoak
Yeah it does. It's natural though and amazing for top down starts so I like using it. At the end of every burning season I usually have about a coffee can of very find black dust after sweeping and it's all from the fatwood. Not bad for 3-4 cords a year.

I use fatwood too, on every cold start. Wife buys a few boxes as soon as it comes in at the beginning of fall. Makes things so much easier.

Fatwood has been my goto for a long time.

I just got some supercedar, I will always support a family biz where I can. It has worked like a champ so far.

Reactions: ozarkoak

I just got some supercedar, I will always support a family biz where I can. It has worked like a champ so far.
The wife works at a big box store and gets a good discount on the fatwood. I love supporting small business too but when inflation has me buried we are doing everything we can to save money.

The wife works at a big box store and gets a good discount on the fatwood. I love supporting small business too but when inflation has me buried we are doing everything we can to save money.
Ozark, I hear ya. I always grabbed fatwood at a big box store. It went from 4 bucks to 8 bucks a bag for the same stuff I've been buying for years. Winter I use less in the stove than I do off season for outdoor fires. I burn a LOT of dead fall debri in the Chiminea.

my goodness! I'm thankful for the €3.00 per stair rise in the past year, then!

My wife uses the fatwood for top down starts when i'm away. I've not needed them but do use the pinecones as a starter. My backyard dumped bucket loads of them this year so its free and easy, and after picking them up, they don't clog up the lawnmower. Here's a pinecone start for your viewing pleasure.

If you want to see some cool slow mo of the top down secondaries go to 3:35 time stamp.

Reactions: all night moe

I like super cedars a lot, I've used them in the past. They are a great product. Just as good if not better than fatwood. I also run a small business myself so I absolutely am pro supporting mom and pop businesses when I can.

For me though I just get annoyed at the mess. Yes I know it's containable if you pay attention but I inevitably drop the wrapper or something happens and it gets everywhere and I get pissed off. I have two kids, a 200 lb dog, and a wood stove...the last thing in the world I need is more of a mess lol. So it's just easier for me to have a box of fatwood next to the log rack. My wife found a nice decorative box for it and I just refill that.