Big oak trees to cut and use for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

prbriney

Dec 20, 2021
Fayetteville, AR
I am looking for someone interested in cutting down about 34 big oak trees (~ 18 to 30" diameter) for firewood in Fayetteville, AR. Are you interested or do you know someone who would be interested?
IMG_5669.jpg

Even if they will pay some, not even mentioning some compensation for the trouble of helping them (34 trees would be a huge bill for them), makes me think they are not world-wise. If you want things done well, if you want everyone to be happy, be prepared that nothing can be had for nothing.

Reactions: enordy
You are very fortunate to find any logger who would take such a 'small' job. Around here, they will not move the heavy equipment for such.

As for someone doing it for firewood, that is quite the big job to fell, buck and haul all of that out of the woods. And then process it.

Will you get paid or did you pay him? Very curious how that job dollars out.

You are very fortunate to find any logger who would take such a 'small' job. Around here, they will not move the heavy equipment for such.

As for someone doing it for firewood, that is quite the big job to fell, buck and haul all of that out of the woods. And then process it.

Will you get paid or did you pay him? Very curious how that job dollars out.
Two loggers came for the big, straight trees. Five others came for the firewood. They each kept what they cut.

I wanted to clear an acre+ of my property 20 years ago. Mostly ash, maple and pine. I found a guy who did it by himself free if he could have the firewood. It did take him a few weeks. After he was finished taking all the wood, I paid him $25/hour to take out all the big stumps with his backhoe. Cost me about $1000 for 40 hours of his work. I thought that was a good deal.

I wanted to clear an acre+ of my property 20 years ago. Mostly ash, maple and pine. I found a guy who did it by himself free if he could have the firewood. It did take him a few weeks. After he was finished taking all the wood, I paid him $25/hour to take out all the big stumps with his backhoe. Cost me about $1000 for 40 hours of his work. I thought that was a good deal.
You couldn't find anyone near me who'd even work 40 hours for 1000$, doing anything believe I've tried. People here demand 100$ an hour for even meaningless tasks, gutter cleaning, window washing, general handyman work. I mean work is work but to clean gutters 100 an hour.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
You couldn't find anyone near me who'd even work 40 hours for 1000$, doing anything believe I've tried. People here demand 100$ an hour for even meaningless tasks, gutter cleaning, window washing, general handyman work. I mean work is work but to clean gutters 100 an hour.

I really don't know what is going to happen to the USA, can't get anyone to work anymore. My only solution is to mechanize with machinery. And then when it breaks down, who is going to fix it, that is another problem. Take it to the dealer and get a whopper of a bill.

even a hundred a hour is not bad. look at it this way, the people doing it are not doing it for the pay and a little gas. they have to figure in the following costs of doing biz or they will just go out and work for someone else
saws
chains
fuel
oil
truck or trucks, grinders, leaf blowers
splitter
space so need a yard of some sort
advertising
insurance truck and liability
health insurance
taxes
tools
and the list goes on. i get the same in my biz. then there is the back up. as time goes on there is going to be a big backlog of work because no kid wants to get their hands dirty so that drives up the price

$1000 for a week isn't going to get you someone with a real business that is insured. Do you work for $12 an hr? Because if they are luck that's all that would be left for them after expenses.

Reactions: fbelec
$1000 for a week isn't going to get you someone with a real business that is insured. Do you work for $12 an hr? Because if they are luck that's all that would be left for them after expenses.
This! It costs me a hell of a lot more to employ someone than what I pay them.

Reactions: bholler
The amish around here would have paid you for oaks that size, and brought in horse teams to pull them out. Oak prices for limber are up, some neighbors are getting paid well.

Remember, this was almost 25 years ago, and he was a local independent guy working by himself at 25 an hour.
25 years ago makes quite a difference. A guy working by himself really doesn't. There are lots of operating costs even for a single guy working alone

Remember, this was almost 25 years ago, and he was a local independent guy working by himself at 25 an hour.
Oh I get it. I wasn't replying to you about that. I was replying about the people saying they cant believe how much businesses charge for their employees labor.

I totally get why that guy did what he did. Example, a couple years ago I had a job going on a recently cleared site. They were dying to get rid of a bunch of hardwood trunks they had taken down and I had a rough terrain forklift on site and a hungry fireplace. Win win. Got a ton of ash and oak outta there (actually probably 8 tons, lol) Had the GC said he would have thrown an extra two grand tax free (inflation adjustment) at me to say move a bunch of boulders around the site and it took me 40 hours and some fuel, thats a no brainer unless I had something way more pressing to take care of.

25 years ago makes quite a difference. A guy working by himself really doesn't. There are lots of operating costs even for a single guy working alone
Im a guy working by myself and I'm always surprised at tax time how much I spent on expenses for the business.