Big score tonight!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turn_n_burn

Burning Hunk
Aug 14, 2015
Idaho
Just scored a pickup bed full of hybrid poplar. All in rounds, cut between 16" and 8 feet, some reasonably dry, some green as Kermit the frog, lots of nice checks in some of the log ends. Not a wood snob obviously, but I do like the smell. Anybody with experience splitting this stuff? I don't anticipate it being easy, but nothing worthwhile is. Big score tonight!

Poplar splits like butter in my neck of the woods. I'm talking tulip poplar anyway. Good kindling and cool night wood

Poplar generally splits if you threaten it with a maul and don't even hit it. At least the straight grain stuff I cut when I'm actually cutting it for firewood splits that easy. If it's not straight grain I don't bother with it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.