big silver maple bases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodz

Apr 27, 2009
southern WI
I had some large silver maple bases dropped off by a tree crew today. Curious as to the best way to cut to size so I can split them. I moved them with my bobcat which saved lots of chains. They are both about 40'' + bases. I've read about noodle cuts, what does that involve?
I have my 310 Stihl with 20" or my rebuilt 036 with 20" . Any advice would help.

Noodling the rounds would be to cut with the grain of the wood to make the sections smaller and easier to move. I, personally, will noodle any really large round(25+dbh) since I split by hand and it is easier to do when the rounds are cut down in size. Easier to move too. Also keep some of the noodles, they are great for starting fires.

How long are the bases? If not too long you can open up a small crack with a wedge and chase it with a few more. Or make your own with the saw.

Matt

Bases are about 40 inch diameter and about 3 feet long so I need to cut in half then split. Of course they are not perfectly round, typical silver maple. They dropped of a five yard dump truck full, enough to keep me busy with planting season here!

I split 60 in, with verdical splitter just roll them into place, 40in no problem at all roll and turn it into place

If you are a manual splitter guy, the easy way to get them to size (once cut to length) is to set them on their side (standing up, like a tire), and then with saw, cut through the bark to halve then quarter the pieces. Be aware, with a typical cross cut chain on your saw, you will not want to let the "noodles" build up against or into the power head. Let it clean out every few seconds.

I have always found cutting with the grain to be a pain, maybe I am doing something wrong.
Rounds that my saw cannot cut in half even cutting all the way around, I usually cut as deep as possible the hit the round on top with a maul or wedge to split off the section that is cut below. Not sure if I explained this right but after splitting off the outer section I then have easy access to the remaining piece with the saw.

Hurricane said:
I have always found cutting with the grain to be a pain, maybe I am doing something wrong.
Rounds that my saw cannot cut in half even cutting all the way around, I usually cut as deep as possible the hit the round on top with a maul or wedge to split off the section that is cut below. Not sure if I explained this right but after splitting off the outer section I then have easy access to the remaining piece with the saw.
probaly the chain your running

Status
Not open for further replies.