Q&A Big stove or small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

A friend looked at the Napoleon 1400 and 1900 (non-cat) models and immediately told me to get the 1900 if it wasn't terribly much more expensive. When I asked why, he told me that it has a longer burn time and such you need to load it less often. The 1400 has a 2.25 cubic feet fire box, the 1900 a 3.0 cubic fire box. He said smaller hot fires could be used just as easily.

I'd heard earlier to not get too big a stove as small fires don't heat it up enough and creosote is a problem.

Could someone comment and let me know which is the case?

Answer:

A smaller stove burning hotter is more efficient and easier to use, especially in a non-cat. The tradeoff is burn time, as your friend says.

However, a 3.0 cubic foot box is not extremely large, falls into the medium/large category. Most stoves today are from 2-4 cubic foot capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.