Big trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mobetter

Dec 17, 2008
Indiana
I was over at the arborist site and they had a post about big trees. Sooo I take my camera out to get a few shots.

This is the biggest tree in my woodlot. I suppose it was too large to log back in the day so they just left it. The state record White Oak in Indiana is 283" circumference @ 4.5' height!
I measured mine at that height and came up 40.5 inches short @242.5". It is still a monster and pictures do it no justice! I did the math and at the root flare it is over 10' diameter!

Lots and lots of firewood there for sure! Nice tree.

Funny that just yesterday my neighbor and I were in our woods and I pointed out to him one of our big white oak trees. The real strange part is that I have never seen an acorn on this tree!

I've also been thinking of taking a picture of a huge cottonwood on some land close to us. For years I've thought about measuring around that tree. He recently cleaned up the brush around it and it appears he may be thinking of building a home as one used to be there and the land has sold. Maybe I should get there and get a picture or two before it might get cut down!

Status
Not open for further replies.