Big Valcourt ZC introduced with Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreBug

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Hi guys, just thought I'd let you know Valcourt just introduced a 9.4 cu ft EPA Phase II (ASTM Low Mass) ZC fireplace. Just a bit of background on this. One of the parameters the engineers were given was it had to be the biggest unit that would still fit through a standard door. It just does...

It's called the FP11 Frontenac named after a grand hotel located in the heart of Quebec City, Canada. It was an enormous technical challenge designing and manufacturing this fireplace. The FP11 Frontenac has a guillotine door that disappears in the hearth, allowing you to easily load wood on the fire. The firescreen is also equipped with a guillotine mechanism.

I've seen it burn and if you are into 'radiant' heat you need to stand back a little.

Specs:

particulate emissions: below 5.1 g/kg (which is approximately 70 percent cleaner than unqualified models)
Width: 59 1/2"
Height: 75"
Weight: 788 Lbs
Glass area: 41" Wide / 26 1/2 Tall (1,090 Sq in)
Venting: 8"
Firebox Dimension: 31 3/4" x 18"
Log Length: 21"

In other words it's a big puppy.

Attachments

• #3.png
    #3.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 463
Wow, that is huge! It's pretty amazing that they got it to burn that cleanly. I'm surprised at the 21" log length. It sure looks more like 31".

788 pounds!

I agree with Mr. Green, It looks big enough to roll stumps into.

What really surprised me was the 8" venting. Initially they were testing on 10" and weren't sure if it could go down. It was a surprise when I saw the 8". (I'm in the factory only 3/4 times a year).

Love the way it looks.

How efficient is it? The ZC fireplaces have always confused me in terms of their efficiency when compared to an insert. Does it use a blower to move heat? What is the claimed square footage that it can heat or Max BTUs?

BeGreen said:
Wow, that is huge! It's pretty amazing that they got it to burn that cleanly. I'm surprised at the 21" log length. It sure looks more like 31".

Pretty sure it burns as clean or cleaner than the Vigilant I'm using. I wonder how that converts into wood usage and burn times?

I've asked the question to the engineers (BTU). I thought it was an easy question... silly me. Engineers do not provide easy answers. So after 1/2 hour over a couple of beers my eyes glazed over.

I can get the 'real' technical answer but from what I recall there is no BTU rating for 'Decorative Fireplace' (even the ASTM low mass) since the protocol does not demand it. There is also a technical aspect as to why the answer is more complicated than X BTU. But I'll get it from the horse's mouth so at least I can sound somewhat intelligent (no mean feat!).

Suffice it to say, I stood by it while it was burning (indoor & outdoor for trade show) and does it ever throw a lot of radiant heat! I was also there when they were doing the UL safety tests and had to load it with coal to monitor max temps and you couldn't stand in front for very long.

FyreBug said:
I've asked the question to the engineers (BTU). I thought it was an easy question... silly me. Engineers do not provide easy answers. So after 1/2 hour over a couple of beers my eyes glazed over.

I can get the 'real' technical answer but from what I recall there is no BTU rating for 'Decorative Fireplace' (even the ASTM low mass) since the protocol does not demand it. There is also a technical aspect as to why the answer is more complicated than X BTU. But I'll get it from the horse's mouth so at least I can sound somewhat intelligent (no mean feat!).

Suffice it to say, I stood by it while it was burning (indoor & outdoor for trade show) and does it ever throw a lot of radiant heat! I was also there when they were doing the UL safety tests and had to load it with coal to monitor max temps and you couldn't stand in front for very long.

Engineers and their words... :mad:

Will they ever be able to make something like the FP11 but have it come close to the heating and efficiency of a stove insert?

FyreBug said:

Is the fireplace radiant only or can it be hooked up with ducted venting?

This is strictly a decorative unit. So there is no option for forced venting.

Also just spoke to our engineers. EPA for 'decorative wood fireplace' does not include testing for BTU, efficiency testing component. Efficiencies for these unit are not very high, therefore the designation 'decorative' by EPA with their associated different standard. There are also some technical reasons why the answer might be more difficult to obtain than a standard EPA appliance. I think some of the reason would be unrestricted air flow among others. Burn time are low as well.

The biggest EPA ZC unit we make is a 3.5 cu ft (Washington State) and it does follow protocols and testing to determine BTU's & efficiencies. Past that size it is very difficult if not next to impossible to get down to that level of emissions due to the size of the firebox.

Bear in mind who is a typicall customer for this type of fire box. It is someone who can afford a $750,000 + cottage with a large living room with a cathedral ceiling. They likely want a large imposing hearth and a small efficient ZC would look silly in there. They are not overly concerned with efficiencies or burn time. So their choice was usually limited to a masonry fireplace. They now have another option.

Right, a 5000 sf cottage. LOL. Sounds like they should call it the congressional fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.