Big wood cutting mess.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ64

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2008
NE Oklahoma
Most of my wood comes from cleaning up down trees that fall in the fields and on the fences. Some of these messes can get rather woolly.

Here is one such case. This pecan tree fell over a narrow but rather deep ditch. I have no idea what all is under it but so far I have not found anything too bad. I have been cutting on this mess for off and on as I get time and so far it has produced about a one and a third face cord without getting into much of the big stuff yet.

What is are big messes you all are cutting on?

Attachments

• Photo_092208_001.jpg
    Photo_092208_001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,278
Nothing as bad as recovering rounds from a ravine but after that dry hurricane last week I'm recovering a lot of topped and leaning hang ups. Fortunately I have tractor...but it still gets a little hairy sometimes.

BJ64 said:
Most of my wood comes from cleaning up down trees that fall in the fields and on the fences. Some of these messes can get rather woolly.

Here is one such case. This pecan tree fell over a narrow but rather deep ditch. I have no idea what all is under it but so far I have not found anything too bad. I have been cutting on this mess for off and on as I get time and so far it has produced about a one and a third face cord without getting into much of the big stuff yet.

What is are big messes you all are cutting on?
Thats a nice one!

Hi,

What you need is a long chain and a 4x4 of some sort. My suburban works well. I pull this kind of mess out of raviens all the time- which is the fun part. Bucking hauling and splitting is the bummer part.

Gosh I would guess pecan is a very good hard wood. It that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.