1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Biggest oak tree you've ever seen?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Danno77, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have a big one around here, I'll try to snap a picture of it over this upcoming weekend if I can make it over that way.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    I remember seeing that photo in a book a long while back too - if memory serves, it was a chestnut. Cheers!
  3. Stihl Country

Stihl Country New Member

Loc:
    Davidson Co. N.C.
    Here in N.C. Red and White Oaks grow super big. It,s common to see them 80ft to 100ft. 3 to 5ft. around.
  4. Birdman1

Birdman1 New Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    DUDE!!
    That's just FRIGGIN' huge!!!
  5. Tony H

Tony H New Member

Loc:
    N Illinois
    Here's the biggest or second biggest in my yard.

Attached Files:

6. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
  7. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    This is one of the oldest oaks in Virginia (in Earlysville). It was saved during a recent airport expansion and has a majestic view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Attached Files:

8. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    Too bad trees like that can't talk. I would imagine they've "witnessed" quite a bit of history.
  9. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I know what those trees would say to me if they were in my timber. it'd be "Hey, what are you doing with that 880?... Get back...no...stoppit....ahhhhhhhh"

Just kidding. I wouldn't cut down a biggun like that. that's a nice piece of history there. even I appreciate that.
  10. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    We had a red oak in our yard with four 3 ft dia trees from one trunk, perfect for building a tree fort. We must have put a hundred nails in this tree some 40 years ago. Well the tree came down last year and I found each one of those 100 nails with my saw.
  11. woodsman23

woodsman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western southern tier of NYS
    I had a huge one in my hands just this morning when i was peeing...... :ahhh:
  12. chrisfallis

chrisfallis Member

Loc:
    Central Colorado
    What? No chaps?
  13. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    This is the biggest one on my 23 acres. I have had a few forest rangers and loggers look at and they were even quite impressed. They said it would take special saws to cut it down and it would make an incredible noise when it fell. The guy from Georgia Pacific recommended keeping it as a signature tree. So far I have not let any of them go and I don't think I will ever let this one go. To top it off it sits right above a water fall.
  14. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    Here's the tree in front of my house. It's 4' or 5' in diameter at about 4' up.

Attached Files:

15. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    No way a man could sleep through that one falling! :bug:
  16. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Not as tall as your oaks out East, but this tree was about 1,000 years old when it finally succumbed.

Encino's "1,000 Year Old" Oak Tree
    http://www.wildbell.com/oak/

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encino_Oak_Tree#Encino_landmark
    The Encino Oak Tree, also known as the Lang Oak, was a 1,000-year-old California Live Oak tree, Quercus agrifolia, in the Encino section of Los Angeles, California. It was designated as a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument (HCM #24) in 1963 ...
    On February 7, 1998, an El Niño storm "delivered the death blow, felling the ailing tree with storm winds

This tree was at the major intersection where we turned to go up to my aunt and uncle's house when I was a kid. Passed it many times. A few years later, one of my first jobs was as a busboy at a restaurant a couple doors down the Blvd. from this tree. Sat under it a few times during lunch breaks. It was sad when I discovered it was gone.

Peace,
    - Sequoia

Attached Files:

17. wood spliter

wood spliter New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    There is one about the size of Bigv's tree around me. Its a big white Oak, I will get a picture if its still standing.
  18. Ronmbucket

Ronmbucket Member

Loc:
    se pa
    I see this 90 footer from my back yard.It's between 4 and five feet at the base.Anyone know how old a tree this size might be?
    [​IMG]
  19. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have a pin oak in my yard that's that size. It was half that size 60 years ago and had a triangle shape then. Now it looks like a typical red oak canopy top.

The white oaks are older, not quite as tall as the red oaks.
    The woods here have been culled several times in the last 300 years. Everything really old is long gone unless access by horse/mule was tough. Everything big on my property is near a house and saved or in the swamp.
  20. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Finally found time to get by this one during the day light. This is the biggest one I know of around me.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.