Bio Bricks and ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
Hi there, I've been trying some bio bricks in our cat insert, mixed with wood that's about 18% MC.

What I'm seeing is that when I start the fire with 5 bricks and cordwood on top, the coal bed eventually gets really deep and also full of ash.

I think the bio bricks choke down when they end up on the bottom, and don't burn out fully...that's what's leaving all the ash behind. Anyone else ever see this?

They burn down very slowly. I burned 9 at a time in by cat stove and they really got hot at first but then the last 20 hours or so were relatively cold and slow burning. I stirred a couple of times to try and speed up the burndown. The problem is that the sawdust gives off its heat energy really fast and early. Then you have dead sawdust.

They will eventually turn to powder.

Quite frankly, I'm trying to waste the biologs now. They are not clean burning, they are not as steady output as cordwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.