Bio-diesel for home heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
I have been looking into using B100 for home heating, and it seems the number one issue is that the materials of your tank & transfer line need to be compatible: ie Steel, Stainless steel or Aluminum are good

Brass, bronze, or galvanized steel are bad

Also, any rubber seals have to be able to withstand vegie oil & Alkali (ie Viton or teflon, NOT Silicone, neoprene or Buna-N)

Does anybody else have other tips / issues about using B100 for home heat?

I am getting this from:
http://www.biodiesel.org/markets/hom/faqs.asp

remember, with BioDiesal, it's not only the innate reactivity of the oil that you have to deal with, but also any trace alkali catalyst that is still dissolved in the oil.

I wonder if there is the potention for galvanic corrosion as well.

It would seem to me that if it doesn't tear up your diesel, it isn't going to hurt your boiler or furnace. At least you don't have to deal with sulphur byproducts...

Chris

Redox said:
It would seem to me that if it doesn't tear up your diesel, it isn't going to hurt your boiler or furnace. At least you don't have to deal with sulphur byproducts...

Chris

yeah, but most people use about 500 gallons of diesel a year for 5-10 years in their car before getting a new car

A house eats 1000 gallons a year for up to 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.