BioBrick review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Well at long last I have a weekend off. I sat down this morning and wrote up the results of my most recent tests. Thomas Engel of BioPellet, LLC was kind enough to send me out a couple packs of the BioBricks for a test. It's a nice product and worked well for me. I can see why they have a loyal following. Here's a couple shots from the tests.

The review is posted at: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Category:Fuels::Compressed_Logs/

Enjoy, BG

Attachments

• bio_brick_start.jpg
    bio_brick_start.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 691
  • bio_brick_burn.jpg
    bio_brick_burn.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 640
Nice review BG.
I wonder if they could be started with the same fire starting gel that some use on pellet stoves, or is that an issue with woodstoves?

Couldn't say. I never tried the stuff because our pellet stove had a self-ignitor. But just a few balls of newspaper would probably get the bricks going. They start pretty easily.

You may also want to look into Trioxane tablets - available at Army/Navy stores to start the fire. I use them for my Thelin by breaking the tablet into thirds to start my pellet stove - one tablet is good for three fire starts. Just drop the piece of the tablet in the fire pot, light, and within minutes the fire is roaring. The local Army Navy store in Auburn was selling them for $0.50 a box - 3 tablets in a box. I bought 10 boxes in the fall and still have 3 boxes left.

Hi guys , i got the same results Begreen , they are a good product , the price is a little high though . I start my fires with Rutland safe lite , fire starters, i just use one or two piece and they start right up .

I just did up an Excel plot of the three pellet-log products that BeGreeen has reviewed, and from his data, it looks like the Northern Idaho Energy logs (if burnt according to his meathod) produce the fastest heat, and then cool down fastest. Biopellet is next - they are a trifle faster than Home-Fire Prest logs, but both have similar cool-downs.

Around hour 3-4, all products are very similar in temperature.

And in terms of which product has a bed of good coals longest, the order is: Home-Fire, NI Energy, Bio-pellet

cost per burn was: Home-Fire, Bio-pellet, NI Energy

Is that a correct summation, BeGreen?

Good summary Anton. The price varies quite a bit on each of these products, just like with pellets. Which price did you choose? Lowest, highest, average? Each has it's strengths, but for energy content, they are quite similar. The Idaho Logs and the BioBricks had a similar burn characteristics and ash. HomeFires stood out for their solid coals and low ash. BioBricks let you pack the stove tighter. I think they might burn the longest in a flat-bottom stove.

It was after I was disappointed by the standard, no-wax, pressed logs that I decided to try the premium products. The standard logs are like giant pellets. They're often cheaper, but burn off quickly, expand to a huge size, and leave a lot of ash.

Although this year I'll be burning free wood from last winter's storms, locally good quality wood is going for $200/235 per cord. So the price of the premium pressed logs is not that bad in comparison. City prices can be even higher. All of these products burn exceptionally clean. That's an important benefit that should be noted, especially if one lives in an dense suburban or urban neighborhood. Even though I'll be burning wood, I'll keep a batch on hand for when we get into a temperature inversion.

After trying them out, I'd be happy burning any of the three premium products tested. In comparison the the standard pressed logs, they're a big improvement. I have one more load of BioBricks left and am going to try a few more in the initial loading to see if I get a longer burn, or just a hotter peak temp.

"Even though I’ll be burning wood, I’ll keep a batch on hand for when we get into a temperature inversion. "

Please excuse my wander, but I have read you state this a few times now and wonder why? Our burn bans in the puget sound are either none, level one-no outdoor burning or nonEPA stoves, and level two-adds no burning of any stoves including pellet stoves. So why do you use these compressed logs during burn bans or inversions? If it is just for stealth then I understand. A pellet stove burns just as cleanly as biobricks but is also outlawed during a level two ban.

Most burn bans locally in the winter are level one. We're legal to burn in the epa approved stove in level one, but still try to keep our emissions to a minimum. Level 2 alerts are rarer and usually much shorter. When it's level 2 you don't want to burn, you can see and smell the smog.

For clarity sake it should be noted that the ban does not include burning when it is the sole source of heat. However, in level 2, no visible smoke is allowed at any time. During level 1, there is a 20 min. startup grace period during which some visible smoke is permitted.

OK, I forgot about the possibility that you might actually want to do your part to improve the air quality during these bans above and beyond the law.

BeGreen said:
For clarity sake it should be noted that the ban does not include burning when it is the sole source of heat. However, in level 2, no visible smoke is allowed at any time.

How the heck are you supposed to get your stove running then, if it is your sole source of heat?

Be green I have burnt two complete packages of Bio bricks and would like to add or confirm your experiences. I have a town meeting shortly so I may not add the info tonight

Corie said:
BeGreen said:
For clarity sake it should be noted that the ban does not include burning when it is the sole source of heat. However, in level 2, no visible smoke is allowed at any time.

How the heck are you supposed to get your stove running then, if it is your sole source of heat?

Gotta love the Catch 22 govt. regs. Maybe don't let it go out? A pellet stove can pull this off if burning continuously (on low, then switch to high when heat is needed), but it would be darn hard to achieve zero smoke at all times burning wood.

I thought I read that level two means no solid fuel burning allowed rather than no smoke allowed. Also, the sole source of heat exemption allows you to even burn pre EPA smokers during any and all bans. I actually know people who have disabled their old wall heaters so that they would qualify for the sole source argument. Those particular folks used a pellet stove, I'm sure the intent is to prevent freezing poor children whos parents have no heat other than burning.

Here are the regs:
Stage I. During a Stage I burn ban:

No burning is allowed in fireplaces and uncertified wood stoves, unless it is your only adequate source of heat. This includes the use of manufactured logs such as Duraflame or Javalogs.

You can use pellet stoves, EPA-certified wood stoves and natural gas or propane fireplaces.

No visible smoke is allowed from any solid fuel burning devices, beyond a 20 minute start-up period.

Stage II. During a Stage II burn ban:

No burning is allowed in any fireplace, pellet stove or wood stove (certified or not), unless it is your only adequate source of heat.

You can use natural gas or propane fireplaces.

No visible smoke is allowed from any solid fuel burning device at any time.

All outdoor burning is prohibited during a burn ban, even in areas where otherwise permitted by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.