BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefflee1

Hearth Supporter
Mar 25, 2006
Willington CT
I went into my local woodstove place that is near me, in there they had some "BioBricks", basically they looked like pellets for a wood burning stove, and pretty much that's what they were. Here is the Website www.biopellet.net.
Does anyone have any info, comments, experience with these?

Jeff

Dylan They only listed distrobution points are in CT Wonder if you and I can obtain a few samples for evaluation.
Heck Harry needs a reasonable pellet supplier. Shipping would not be too bad from CT . I E-mailed them as a feeler to see how receptive they are. Again Pricing may determine how sucessfull they become

Seems like a strange place to want to remain anonymous. I suppose some do though. For the wood burners it's usually easy to guess general geographic region by the wood they talk about burning and the age of some of the homes. Here there are a handfull of 100 year old homes. Usually a 100+ year old home is simply a crippled frame of a log cabin out on the prairie.

Shane said:
Seems like a strange place to want to remain anonymous. I suppose some do though. For the wood burners it's usually easy to guess general geographic region by the wood they talk about burning and the age of some of the homes. Here there are a handfull of 100 year old homes. Usually a 100+ year old home is simply a crippled frame of a log cabin out on the prairie.

From the guy who could live anywhere from Ohio to Nevada ;-)

http://www.seashorecandles.com/pricing3.htm

$250 a ton, thats cheaper than pellets no?

Not in my neck of the woods. Pellets are $130 to $180/ton.

Why can't someone make these things closer to Mo? I'd buy a pallet in a heartbeat just to try them and to supplement my sometimes less than adequate volume of self-cut wood.

I'd MUCH rather buy these Bio-Logs or the logs that Thomas or Jonas sell than buy mystery cordwood from the WoodMan.

BTW: A new WoodMan came to my door this morning, unsolicited. I didn't make it to the door in time, so he left his calling card. He wants $100 for a so-called 'RANK' which the card claims is 4 x 8. No mention of split length. I guess it is whatever he feels like providing. If his wood is par with the WoodMen that came before him (making an informed assumption), then he'll deliver it with both ends criss-cross stacked. If a split is 18" in length, then two criss-cross stacked ends is 3 feet of the 8 foot dimension of the so-called RANK. At about 1/2 less volume for criss-cross stacking, that shorts the so-called RANK by 37.5%. Typical. Priceless. And THAT cleaver tactic, along with a dozen others, and the oh, so sublime enjoyment (sarcasm) of interacting with a neighborhood huckster that I may never lay eyes upon again, is why I would MUCH prefer to buy the compressed wood logs instead, at least if I'm going to need to put money down for wood fuel due to living in suburbia, back-ache, time constraints, etc. and the price is anywhere close to reasonable. $250 a ton is reasonable in my mind, but on the high end of reasonable. At $130 - $180 a ton, I'd be tempted to burn them exclusively and stop chopping wood!

The compressed logs from Thomas, Jonas, and BioLogs come in reliable weights, with consistent moisture content, and predictable wood quality (= BTU's). You always know exactly what you are getting for your money. That, to me, is worth a bit extra. And then there are several other conveniences over cordwood like inside storage with no fear of bugs, less dust, compact size, easy transport using a two wheeler, wagon, etc., and a long, slow, highly predictable burn rate in the stove.

I loved burning the two brands I've tried so far: North Idaho Fire Logs from Thomas and High Energy Fire Logs from Jonas. I'd highly recommend using these things to anyone who needs to buy their wood fuel, has special restrictions regarding processing or storing of wood (injuries, small yard, no wood lot, etc.), but still enjoys burning.

The thing that surprised me most about these logs was the incredible predictability of the heat output and burn times, as well as the increased level of flames in my cat stove when compared to seasoned cordwood. I actually had more primary combustion (visible flames in the fire box) using Thomas' North Idaho logs than I do with regular cordwood. I get more heat, too, because they tend to burn a bit faster due to the lower moisture content. Still, I can limit the consumption rate by only placing one log at a time in the firebox with the air full open. That's how I normally burn anyway, so it suits me just fine. If I had a whole pallet of these logs, I'd try adding a few more at one time and see how damping the air down worked for a longer, unattended burn. I just can't find 'em around St. Louis.

Hello Dylan

Yes I live in ct, I just joined yesterday, I didn't put inmy location yet, but I live in Willington CT which is in the northeast corner of the state..

Sorry, I live in Casper Wyoming. I talk about it alot but never considered I didn't have it posted in my profile.

Very few people have anything posted in their profile. (Sigh.)

Consistently yes, There's also Hearthtools and Jonas. There's another guy from Colorado I just can't think of his name right now. Has a mountain peak as his avatar. I promote this site vigorously in my store. I tell people to come here and ask opinions on the stoves I sell or to verify advice I give them. Hopefully the Western population will grow!

Jared, is the other one from colorado. Hes in the fort i believe. I do the same. I wish i had bidness cards with the hearthnet addy on here to give to customers.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I think shane and i are the only few westerners who post here consistantly.
I be farther west yet. Seattle — Latitude: 47°37'N. So is Tom Oyen - the chimneysweeponline dude.

The guy has a cool link to the machine that makes these things. He's also pretty willing to let you know what he'd charge you for 25 pallets + shipping. Hmmm...

I'm gettin some...will post review asap.

o.k. It was near 80 here today, and I got some BioBricks yesterday. This sucks...I want to give em a try, but:

a: I doubt the stove would draft even if I tried
b: The house would be 120 degrees if I tried
c: I don't want to ....even though I want to!

These things are amazingly heavy, and smaller than I thought. Each brick is about the same size as my logitech computer speakers. A pack of them must weigh as much as my 6 year old... When they say as dense as coal...I think it's close. If the temp drops, I'll try em, but if not...It's wait till fall.

Warren said:
o.k. It was near 80 here today, and I got some BioBricks yesterday. This sucks...I want to give em a try, but:

a: I doubt the stove would draft even if I tried
b: The house would be 120 degrees if I tried
c: I don't want to ....even though I want to!

These things are amazingly heavy, and smaller than I thought. Each brick is about the same size as my logitech computer speakers. A pack of them must weigh as much as my 6 year old... When they say as dense as coal...I think it's close. If the temp drops, I'll try em, but if not...It's wait till fall.

how much did they run you warren?

Warren,

I feel your pain. We set a new record high today in St. Louis, so the hearth has gone cold. Dang that global warming. ;)

I'll be anxiously awaiting your review.

Jefflee1 said:
I went into my local woodstove place that is near me, in there they had some "BioBricks", basically they looked like pellets for a wood burning stove, and pretty much that's what they were. Here is the Website www.biopellet.net.
Does anyone have any info, comments, experience with these?

Jeff

Well hello guys. Thanks to Warren I have joined in on the discussion. I have traveled a large part of the world to find the right machine to set up a BioMass fuel production facility in New England. I make the BioBricks(tm) out of the local wood byproduct stream. My BioBricks are very consistent in properties and I heat my 1876 home with them. I burn a VC Encore non-cat, a Regency 2400 step and a Harman Oakwood (not all at the same time).

I consistently get very long burn times. The reason for this is the size, shape, moisture content, makeup and density of my BioBricks. Many people initially say "hey, can't you make these look a bit more like a log?" well indeed that is exactly NOT what is needed. How many of you have been frustrated by empty space inside your stove because of a log that only fits 2/3 the width of the hearth. Because my Bricks are flat sided and the size of house bricks you can pack them tight together to minimize airflow through the stack and fill every nook and cranny of the stove. Doing so at my home allows me to achieve burn times as long as 20 hours.

That's why I like to say my fuel is "a new look at firewood". Of-course it is not such a new look. The machines I use have been spitting out Bricks for 20 years and nearly every gas station in Scandinavia has a pallet of Bricks out front.

Great, I hadn't thought about the denser packing in the stove. I also like that they burn cleaner.

But what do those gas stations do when there's a sudden cloudburst?

Welcome BioPellet dude(ette?).

Question: Are your BioBricks safe for catalytic stoves?

I tried to find it on your web site, but there is no search feature and I had no luck jumping around.

Yes, I have people (like for instance Fireside Supply in Hebron CT) that use my BioBricks in a VC Encore CAT. They are telling me they are getting burn times pushing 20 hours.

Keep in mind, it's just wood, and becuase its dense and becuase it holds together well in the stove and because you can pack them close together without air in between they give off thier gases real nice and slow..

Thanks for the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.