Biomass Federal Tax Credit 2017?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
Has anyone heard any news or rumors about the tax credit? I've been monitoring the Energy STAR page every week for an update but the 2017 page is looking pretty barren. Am I right to think it will meet the same fate as the rest of the EPA? Too bad, this was kind of a make or break on a realistic stove payoff period.

Of course all the stove shops are POSITIVE it will go through. Here's what I heard from one:

"The tax credit hasn't been extended as yet, but it's in committee. Although
there's no guarantee, popular consensus is it will soar right through."

Possible, sometimes they offer the blower for free.

Has anyone heard any news or rumors about the tax credit? I've been monitoring the Energy STAR page every week for an update but the 2017 page is looking pretty barren. Am I right to think it will meet the same fate as the rest of the EPA? Too bad, this was kind of a make or break on a realistic stove payoff period.

Of course all the stove shops are POSITIVE it will go through. Here's what I heard from one:

I heard Trump is very concerned with man made global warming and since wood-burning is carbon neutral he's working to extend benefits.

Reactions: StihlKicking

I don't know that the credit would make or break the payoff period. As I understand it the credit was 10% of the purchase price of the stove only, limited to $300. The energy tax credits are also subject to a lifetime limit of $500, so if you've already claimed tax credits in the past for something like windows or insulation, you might not even get $300 back if you bought a $3,000 stove.

It would be nice if it came through, I bought my stove in January and I think I still have $100 or more left of the lifetime limit.

Nothing yet, I don't think they're even working on taxes and budget yet, at least in Congress. Based on all accounts, everyone there is working and posturing on ACA. Even if it were proposed in the budget in a department meeting, no one in the administration knows how Trump will tweet about it.

I heard Trump is very concerned with man made global warming and since wood-burning is carbon neutral he's working to extend benefits.
Did I miss it when he tweeted that? ;lol

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I don't know that the credit would make or break the payoff period. As I understand it the credit was 10% of the purchase price of the stove only, limited to $300. The energy tax credits are also subject to a lifetime limit of $500, so if you've already claimed tax credits in the past for something like windows or insulation, you might not even get $300 back if you bought a $3,000 stove.

It would be nice if it came through, I bought my stove in January and I think I still have $100 or more left of the lifetime limit.

For me I pay $800/winter in natural gas heating @2400sq ft in NY. I'm not going to have enough free time or want the inconvenience of full time heating so I assume optimistically I'd get $400/yr in saving. My insurance wants only licensed installers to do the work and the cheapest quote I'm finding is $4400. So the $300 is not really make or break, but combined with a $200 rebate it would start getting more practical. If I can get a cheaper quote it will make a bigger difference. It says there is a $300 credit and I don't have any other credits used yet.

Nothing yet, I don't think they're even working on taxes and budget yet, at least in Congress. Based on all accounts, everyone there is working and posturing on ACA. Even if it were proposed in the budget in a department meeting, no one in the administration knows how Trump will tweet about it.

Haha. If taxes and budget do get worked on it's more likely this credit will end up in some CEO's tax cuts.

Last I heard the popular Energy Star program is slated to be on the chopping block as one of 38 EPA programs to be eliminated.

Last edited:
Last I heard the popular Energy Star program is slated to be on the chopping block as one of 38 EPA programs to be eliminated.

I like the Energy Star program when I shop for appliances. Otherwise it's hard to tell if I'm buying an energy hog or a modern appliance that will save me money every month I own it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my vehicles to use less fuel and pollute less too, but that's also up for reversal. Something about making them great again.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I like my vehicles to use less fuel and pollute less too, but that's also up for reversal. Something about making them great again.

The efficiency of the modern vehicle fleet is a major reason why fuel is so affordable these days. We will guzzle our way right into expensive fuel again and then we'll wonder why its so expensive to fill our tanks!

Reactions: AppleRock
I think what's more at stake is the trajectory to get to 54.5 MPG by 2025. To be clear, last year, the EPA, NHTSA, and CARB came to the conclusion the auto industry wouldn't be able to hit that target despite making faster progress than expected. Yes, Trump is the face of it now since he said it and everyone pays attention to everything he says and all of the scrutiny that comes with it these days, but the government agencies came to this conclusion awhile ago before him.

The efficiency of the modern vehicle fleet is a major reason why fuel is so affordable these days. We will guzzle our way right into expensive fuel again and then we'll wonder why its so expensive to fill our tanks!

That and OPEC went on a price war in order to maintain market share once North American shale became an actual player. Now that they care about prices again, they've agreed to production cuts in an attempt to raise prices, but they're finding that global production hasn't slowed, which is keeping prices down still.

Think about this. In June 2009, the official end of the recession, the estimated vehicle miles traveled was 256.7 billion and June 2016 it was 282.3 billion. Retail sales of gasoline were 50,420,000 and 26,711,000 gallons per day, respectively. So we're traveling 10% more miles on almost half the gasoline. Diesel sales have slowed, but not nearly as dramatically, which have only declined by 500,000 gallons per day.

A lot of this is people finally getting rid of their pre-2004 (or whatever year) vehicles and buying new(er) ones over the last 5 years.

I don't think we'll see a decline in MPG from new cars and become guzzlers again. I think the psyche of the US auto market has changed pretty permanently in this regard as the manufacturers have figured out how to squeeze MPG without or very little performance loss (and in some cases performance gains). We're not longing for the performance of 5 years ago at the expense of MPG like other cycles have produced.

So what's in your stove now?

Last edited:
Reactions: BetterCallMaul
Even if it were proposed in the budget in a department meeting, no one in the administration knows how Trump will tweet about it.

Yes, I'm quoting myself, but I've figured out Trump would tweet about the biomass credit. First, in a meeting the comments will be what's a wood stove, then who uses such outdated technology? The tweet would then come out as, No more wood stoves and that loser tech, we're bringing the greatest NG tech to all people in my $1T infrastructure plan!

Was that 140 characters?

Reactions: BetterCallMaul
I think what's more at stake is the trajectory to get to 54.5 MPG by 2025. To be clear, last year, the EPA, NHTSA, and CARB came to the conclusion the auto industry wouldn't be able to hit that target despite making faster progress than expected. Yes, Trump is the face of it now since he said it and everyone pays attention to everything he says and all of the scrutiny that comes with it these days, but the government agencies came to this conclusion awhile ago before him.

That and OPEC went on a price war in order to maintain market share once North American shale became an actual player. Now that they care about prices again, they've agreed to production cuts in an attempt to raise prices, but they're finding that global production hasn't slowed, which is keeping prices down still.

Think about this. In June 2009, the official end of the recession, the estimated vehicle miles traveled was 256.7 billion and June 2016 it was 282.3 billion. Retail sales of gasoline were 50,420,000 and 26,711,000 gallons per day, respectively. So we're traveling 10% more miles on almost half the gasoline. Diesel sales have slowed, but nearly as dramatically, which have only declined by 500,000 gallons per day.

A lot of this is people finally getting rid of their pre-2004 (or whatever year) vehicles and buying new(er) ones over the last 5 years.

I don't think we'll see a decline in MPG from new cars and become guzzlers again. I think the psyche of the US auto market has changed pretty permanently in this regard as the manufacturers have figured out how to squeeze MPG without or very little performance loss (and in some cases performance gains). We're not longing for the performance of 5 years ago at the expense of MPG like other cycles have produced.

So what's in your stove now?

The mileage driven vs gallons purchased is certainly interesting information. Can you share where you got the numbers?

Those numbers are going to get even better as older cars are junked, or worse if you sell oil.

These number are interesting as well, especially the recent increase in CAFE standards for light trucks: https://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/...ansportation_statistics/html/table_04_23.html

I'm not a huge fan of regulation but it is why we have pick up trucks that have 400hp and get 26mpg, wood burning stoves that burn 10 plus hours, and out out less than 3gm of particulate per/hr.

I re-read the "expired" tax credit again. You are right that it is 10% up to $300, but it explicitly includes all installation costs and all parts of the installation. So I would easily hit $300 if this hypothetical tax credit went through.

Reactions: patrickoneal
I re-read the "expired" tax credit again. You are right that it is 10% up to $300, but it explicitly includes all installation costs and all parts of the installation. So I would easily hit $300 if this hypothetical tax credit went through.

I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out. The instructions do say:

"Also include on lines 22a through 22c any labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the property."

I was thinking of the lines for the cost of windows, doors, and insulation. They specifically exclude labor from that portion.

I put in for it in my taxes this year but didn't get anything as I got $1500 tax credit back in 2010 for installing the 95% efficient condensing nat gas furnace.