Birch and Ash - Recommended Drying Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
I have been cutting maple and oak and decided to diversify my portfolio - by adding some fresh Ash and Birch. I was curious how long Ash and Birch need to season, from your experience? (Birch in the front, Ash in the back)

IMG_0621.JPG

I can't help you with birch, as I don't burn much at all. I do, however, burn loads of ash. If the tree is green/alive I would give it a minimum of one year. I find that ash doesn't really hit its prime until it has had two summers worth of dry time. It is very burnable after one year though.

I think of drying times in relation to split size. With average drying conditions, I would say ash splits 4 inches big would be good in a year. I think I see your birch as black birch. If so, again 4 inch splits would be ok in one year. I am burning one yr old black birch this year. The small to medium splits are mostly in good shape. Splits over 4 or 5 inches are so-so ( I would guess about 23 or 24% on the moisture meter if I checked). These I am putting back on the stack for another year. These are minimum times though and, of course more time for drying will only make the wood better.

Last edited:
I had black birch last year, cut and split about this time, tested in December and was 20-21%, I split ash in April and burned it 6 months later. I have a great spot for drying wood so ymmv.

Perfect, thanks for the help. I will get it split and stacked and check it next fall - I hopefully won't need it until the next year.

Split to 4" or so, stacked off the ground with good sun exposure and top covered i would plan to stack birch in march to burn september same year.

Over about 4" or the crotch pieces with the complicated grain, two years, in agreement with @Ctwoodtick above.

I have no experience with ash.

Birch- need to get it split and stacked before it warms up out- otherwise it will go punky inside the bark -depending on our Summer weather and conditions in your stacking area with everything split 4" or less and top covered , could be good to go this fall. Personally I wait at least 2 full summers for any of the softer hardwoods. I generally need at least 3 years on the Oak ,Hickory, Locust types.

Birch doesnt start drying until split. Preferably 1/4 split so the bark to raw wood percentage is low. One year will do 2 years is better.

Last edited:
Personally I wait at least 2 full summers for any of the softer hardwoods. I generally need at least 3 years on the Oak ,Hickory, Locust types.
Yep, especially if the wood hasn't been standing dead for a good while.
It's a waste of heating potential to try to burn wood too early, and it makes the stove harder to run. It looks like you have a decent woodlot to work, so if you are running tight on your supply for next winter, find some small, dead trees, standing or down, with the bark already gone. Stick the moisture meter to it as you cut, and separate into a couple of stacks, one that will be ready by fall, and one that needs two summers. Sure, it's a little more hassle, but you will have good, dry wood to burn next fall. :cool:

Give both a year ccs and you will be good IMHO.

BOB

That birch looks like it splits real nice.