BIS 1.0 Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RachaelE

Jan 1, 2024
Saskatchewan, Canada
We just installed a BIS 1.0 fireplace and are loving the heat.

Both fans run well, but they are remarkably noisy. I looked at replacements but the parts guy said they wouldn’t be any quieter.

Has anyone tried to retrofit a squirrel cage fan in a unit like this? Or any suggestions for making the fans less noisy?

IMG_6893.jpeg

Are they noisy at low speed too or just at high speed?

This is an old unit. Were the blower units cleaned before installing? If not, they may be imbalanced due to accumulated dirt and hair on the blades.

well....I didn't even know there was a high and low fan speed. So I'll clean the blades and check that out.
the unit is old, but had very little use when we bought it. I couldn't argue with $150 for a efficient wood burning fireplace.....

I don't have the docs for the original, but the BIS 1.2 had a rheostat controlled blower. If there is no speed control, one could be added. Part# VRUW.