BIS Tradition Possible Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TexasGreg

Dec 30, 2017
Texas
I installed a BIS Tradition fireplace 4 1/2 years ago. It came with a kit to tie in a blower to my house central air ductwork. I notice when I run the blower and go into one of the rooms fed by the blower, there is a slight smoke smell. The blower is attached to the side of the firebox and the airflow is away from the firebox. Does this mean there is a small leak? Should the blower airflow go the opposite direction and pull the cold air from the rooms to pass over the firebox?

Last edited:
I installed a BIS Tradition fireplace 4 1/2 years ago. It came with a kit to tie in a blower to my house central air ductwork. I notice when I run the blower and go into one of the rooms fed by the blower, there is a slight smoke smell. The blower is attached to the side of the firebox and the airflow is away from the firebox. Does this mean there is a small leak? Should the blower airflow go the opposite direction and pull the cold air from the rooms to pass over the firebox?

I think the blower should pull air into the firebox from inside air in your home. Hold the tissue paper near the blower to see if it is blowing air in or out

I think the blower should pull air into the firebox from inside air in your home. Hold the tissue paper near the blower to see if it is blowing air in or out

I have cold air leaking from under the door and from the two hot air vents mounted on walls. I am not sure where the cold air is coming from? Is it coming down the chimney or lack of insulation behind the fireplace. It is getting very cold so I had to put cardboard masking tape all around the bottom grill and two top vents to close them up. Now I cannot use my fireplace. Any soution?