BIS Ultra non-epa version | Replacement Refractories

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pineweb

Aug 19, 2015
midwest
I have a BIS Ultra (non-epa version, mfr 10/1998). Loved it.

Refractories breaking down.

Turns out, a couple of them are no longer available.

What to do?

One suggestion was to get a newer, more efficient and cleaner burning unit. Gee, thanks. Since the BIS is built in with a nice surround (fortunately NOT brick or stone), it's probably a $15,000 - $20,000 remodel with lots of mess & inconvenience.

Suggestions?

Would any new fireplace match up the chimney location EXACTLY and is the chimney connector standard such that it would connect up with a new fireplace?

thanks.

They cannot get the right side refractory or the upper rear baffle refractory though the claim the other BIS Ultra baffle refractory is a match (which makes sense).

Wood Heat Stoves & Solar let me order the right side and then they came back and said "oops, we were wrong, we can't get it"

Have you tried the place I posted? Some may have them in stock... I know many are just in time ordering but worth a try.

Can you post a picture of your setup? May be able to give some better replacement advice in case it comes to that.

BIS Ultra non-epa version | Replacement Refractories

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdbzuetqqu2o8qe/IMAG1802.jpg?dl=0

Those are not the right part number. I have the non-EPA version BIS-Ultra. My memory is foggy, but I think the EPA version wasn't out yet.

Rear Baffle Refractory: PR-SR1780 (no longer available)

Front Baffle Refractory: PR-SR1843(available)

Back Refractory: PR-SR1777 (available)

Right Side Refractory: PR-SR1776D (no longer available)

Left Side Refractory: PR-SR1776G (available)

Bottom Refractory: PR-SR1778 (available)

Front Ledge Refractory: PR-SR1779 (available)

What's the difference in the refractories between the non-EPA and EPA versions?

My understanding is that the EPA version has 5 air tubes, mine has 3. Since there is a slot in the top of the side refractories for each air tube that makes at least those 2 parts different. The others *might* all be the same but for some reason BIS created different part numbers for those.

Get a welder to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.