Bituminous + TLC-2000 probs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MISERICORDIA

Jan 11, 2011
SLC, UT
We installed a TLC-2000 in Oct of 2009. I figured last year would be my learning year but some things still aren't working quite right. With firewood things are pretty good but with coal I have had problems. This is Bituminous coal since that is all we have around here (SLC, UT) from nut to stove size. It comes down to two issues:

1. It is rare that I get the nice flames dancing on top of the coal. Usually when I try to load it up there is LOTS of smoke (When I first got it I smoked the whole neighborhood) tumbling around inside but no flame. I have learned (the hard way) to keep a little red coal exposed but it can sometimes smoke so much that it smothers even that flame. Any suggestions or do I just have coal with lots of volatiles?

2. When I get it loaded up and some flames, the flames will just keep getting stronger and stronger until it is just a fire box of flame. Moving the air controls, even as low as possible has little effect. As a result even if I load it up full at 10 PM, the next morning at 7 AM it will be pretty much dead. Does this mean I need a barometric damper? If I turn the air control all the way down where is it pulling air from?

Thanks

It's going to be tough to get many bitum users.......with experience. As you know, Harman mentions in their manual:
--------
Anthracite coal, pea or nut size, is the primary fuel for
which the TLC000 is designed. Bituminous coal may also
be burned but the results will vary due to the variation in
bituminus coal from region to region.
--------

Coals are very different - in terms of fixed carbon and gas content.
It does sound...like you have excess draft. I think a barometric of turn damper might help control the fire.
You should almost never have lots of smoke...if you do, they you have to change your technique or coal.

Can you get a larger size coal? I run bit and the larger size generally runs better than egg. I assume you have underfire air? How about overfire air to burn of volatiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.