BK Ashford 30.1 and flames

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people seem to hear that BKs are black boxes that put put heat but not light.

A BK is a regular wood stove, except that the air is controlled by a magic thermostat. If you want a fireshow, turn up the thermostat.

The magic thermostat has several benefits, such as simplicity of use, overfires being borderline impossible, and (most famously) you can run the stove on low and get nice even heat that lasts for a really long time.

In general, any time the firebox is colder than the thermostat setting, you have flames in the firebox.

Reactions: webby3650
When you reload you are supposed to burn on high for awhile before turning it down we time that with when we want to see flames.
I have never burned any wood that didn't give a good flame. We were worried about this when we bought also. My wife is home during the day and at first she didn't like the black box all day but she has grown to love the fact that she never needs to touch the stove. I can work a 12hr shift in the dead of winter come home to a warm house.

I'm planning on getting the blowers. Do I need to get an OAK for it because of that?
Not because of the blower, but there are many other good reasons for outside air, especially if you have a tight house. The best time to do it is during the installation and the best place is below the stove if you have a vented crawlspace. It's easy enough to do.

I believe Washington State now requires OAK for all new installations in new construction, and I've heard that some local codes require it for any new stove in any house. It used to be required only for mobile home-type construction.

We were worried about this when we bought also. My wife is home during the day and at first she didn't like the black box all day but she has grown to love the fact that she never needs to touch the stove. I can work a 12hr shift in the dead of winter come home to a warm house.

The reason so many BK owners have a black box all day is because they love having a stove with a highly functional low burn setting.

The guy next door who went with a $300 stove has a fireshow every time he burns- he has no choice. He also runs his oil burner in shoulder season because his stove can't cover a full work shift, and even if it could, it would be 100 degrees in his house.

Having a stove that can burn very long and low is both addictive and highly practical- and you are not giving up flames on demand.

On the other hand, the guy with the $300 stove can afford to buy a good chainsaw and a bad pickup truck with his leftover cash, so it's not all roses. :)

So if I understand correctly, with a BK stove (or other cat stove), I get the fire show when I want that, or efficiency when I want that. I can better handle the shoulder seasons because I can turn it down low enough not to overheat the house. Plus, the BK Tstat gives me the ability to basicly "set it and forget it" . Sounds like a winner to me.

My plan initially is to use the stove to supplement my propane use and for ambiance when needed. Also, during years when propane is high, to use it even more to lower my usage. Down the road I may try to use it to cover 80% or more of my heating needs. My experience the first year or two will determine that.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Your advice is very helpful.

My plan initially is to use the stove to supplement my propane use and for ambiance when needed.

I bought my BK for supplemental heat. It's been promoted to primary heat, though. My oil bill has gone from $500ish per month in the winter to $50ish. It was 80 in my living room all day yesterday because my wife was sick and feeling cold all the time- and the heat's free!

Reactions: webby3650
Yep I have heard that a lot bought it just to have a nice fire to sit in front of once in awhile..... That's were it starts before you know it you are burning 24/7. You made a great choice in a stove and it will make the above transition painless. Many people put in a cheep stove and once they are hooked on wood heat need to rip it out and start over.

This shoulder season we heated up until a few days ago 24/7 in a non-cat. Most days were 12 hr cycles, but occasionally I would pulse the stove around 5pm and then reload before bed. I finally have the rhythm down. Practice makes perfect. Above 50F we use the heat pump and the sun. It's less expensive than wood. And the fire view was great. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.