BK Ashford 30 draft problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andre marquis

Oct 30, 2016
springwater, NY
Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased the Ashford 30 and burned it for a week. It was installed by a certified stove installer and he also installed a new stovepipe. Thus, every component of the system is brand new. Five of the seven days we had smoke coming into the house. Usually, my wife (who has very severe asthma) and I only smelled it, but once, it was so severe that we could see the smoke escaping from the stovepipe (and i videoed that). The stove installer has re-checked everything and he said that everything is just right but that we are not getting sufficient draft. We live near the top of a 1000' hill, but we do have many tall trees close to our house, which he said may create a downward curling of air that could cause back puffing if there is insufficient draft. Our old stove did not have a catalytic converter and had such good draft that we never had this problem in 10 years with that stove (we sent so much heat and smoke out the chimney with that old stove).

Have any of you had similar problems with draft with the Ashford 30 or similar stoves? More importantly, do any of you have suggestions for remedying this problem? We have ordered a "clover" cap that is supposed to create a venturi effect and thus more draft. Another option is a chimney draft inducer (electric fan on the top of the stovepipe to create draft). Have any of you used either of those? or anything else to create more draft?
I understand that burning hotter creates more draft - we had back puffing even on the high setting (and yes, the stove was always in the active zone).

thanks very much!
andre

How tall is your chimney? What type?(Class a?) Tell us more about the install. Maybe some pics as well.

We really need to know what your set up is like. Does it have an outside air kit? Tight house? Lots of things could be contributing to your problem. The fact that's it's back puffing on high is very strange, in my opinion that eliminates the stove as being an issue.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, I am unable to answer all your questions. First, the chimney appears to be about 4.5 feet above the roof (of a two-story home). Most of the the stovepipe is duraplus triple wall. Our house is far from tight; actually, on the drafty side. I can't say much about the install because i didn't do it. What is an outside air kit?
thanks,
andre

Did the smoke leak from the stove or from the pipe seams? upload some picks or wait for some colder weather.

After a week of operation I would expect the paint to be fully cured.

Is the stove on upper or lower floor of two story home?

What have been your outdoor ambient temperatures lately?

I don't have nearby trees to worry about affecting airflow... first year I ran my A30 on 13.5' of pipe from collar to cap, added two feet, having 15.5' (manual suggests 15' minimum) made a HUGE difference.

Mine is still a teensy bit fussy from say +40 or +50 dF down to about freezing or so. Below freezing I can run the tstat on the lower settings and have plenty of draft.

Below zero dF I could run it fine on the shorter pipe, but getting into weather that sort of dictates higher Tstat settings.

I have heard pretty good things about the "H" shaped pipe cap in swirly airflow areas, don't have that problem myself though.

Where is video of smoke leaking from stovepipe? I am behind the firewall at my office...

We had both off-gassing of the new paint/new stove pipe as well as the leaking of smoke, which came from the stovepipe. I have at least 24' of pipe (2-story home). Stove is on first floor of home. Outdoor temps were 30 to low 50s.
thanks,
andre

Is the smoke only coming in at the beginning of the burn or through out? I know with my install I get a lot of smoke if I dont pre-warm the flu with a torch for 30 seconds and I have to leave the door cracked till it really gets going.

One source of leakage noted on the Ashfords in the past has been the door gasket due to the glass retaining nuts under the gasket. I think this was fixed on the 30.1. Does the label on the back of the stove say Ashford 30 or 30.1? When you smell smoke pay close attention to the door perimeter and look for any wisps of smoke there. A very bright light may help show them if this is the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.