BK Ashford 30 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ratsrepus

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2018
Howell, Mi
As Im to understand the Ashford 30 is a steel welded cat stove like my princess, but comes with cast panels with gloss enamel? Do they work as good as the princess. Going to replace the Oslo in the home next fall and would like a better looking princess.

Thanks Rats

It’s not the same stove. The Ashford doesn’t have the deep ash belly that the princess has, the Ashford’s window stays cleaner, it has lower emissions, is a little smaller, less efficient, and costs a lot more.

The looks are very different. If the a30 was available at the time I would probably have bought it. But knowing what I know now, I really like the princess.

The princess doesn’t suffer from the smoke smell issue nearly as often and uses the cheaper ceramic cats.

Reactions: coutufr
I have had an ashford for 3 years now. Couple of notes- yes to steel with cast jacket. That design is pretty but cuts into its ability as a good radiant heater. I'm comparing it to my previous stove, a hearthstone. That said, with the fans, it is a fine covective hearer. Lastly, it's hard to see somewhat in the pics, but there is some "junk in the trunk" that is not covered by the panels. In my my alcove it looks great though.

Happy w my purchase and especially w BK customer service. From 1-10 they are a 12.

I really think a princess would heat my space better, but I honestly couldn't get myself or my wife to go for it because of the look. However, if I find a decent deal- I may try one out.

Not all Ashfords are gloss enameled. It can be ordered with painted cast iron. It’s funny @shoot-straight says junk in the trunk. Must be an Eastern Shore thing cause that’s exactly what we say about it! I’d say to go for the Princess if you can stand the look just to avoid the smoke smell issue that comes with the 30 box. I feel like only a few people have mentioned having it on the princess.

Reactions: coutufr
Im already running one princess. ILL most likely go with a 2nd one for the house

At peak output the Princess runs a tiny bit hotter than the A 30 (on paper), about equivalent to running a 1500 watt electric heater 20-30 minutes out of every hour.

I only have owned an A30, have chatted with a few Princess owners. Both run best (up here) on fuel around 16% MC. I have run my A30 on 20% fuel and it does OK, but mine really shines with fuel at 12-16% MC.

The A30 has been available with a flat black cast iron jacket, no enamel, over the welded steel box. A co-worker of mine has one. I don't know if it is a currently available option, and the MSRP is (was) the same. My wife didn't like it all on the showroom floor, it was a hammered surface and flat black instead of smooth and enameled. I thought it looked great, like a stock appearing 1982 Impala with an LSx and T56 front end and large enough diameter exhaust pipe to get the job done without drawing attention to itself. Blackwall tires. Factory hubcaps on whatever steel wheel width required to get enough rubber under there. Stealth.

I did follow the break in burn procedure on mine religiously and relentlessly. Mine is halfway through its fourth heating season and the enamel looks great. FWIW I haven't seen any mention that I can recall of the enamel color curing unevenly, I was especially concerned about the top plate right above the combustor maybe suffering from being at the hottest point. I followed he book exactly for the first four burns and mine cleans up nice enough to go back on a showroom floor. The (chestnut brown) is even color intensity all over the stove.

At last known count there were five users here having A30 smoke smell issues out of thousands of units sold. I am just going to leave that be.

I am kinda glad my A30 is in a corner install, there is no enameled plate on the back side of the stove. It's flat black sheet metal on the back. The wife and I are talking about knocking a wall down and twisting ours 45 degrees since there won't be a corner behind it anymore. I think it will be fine. If we had gotten the flat black non-enamel it would be a non-issue as there would be minimal contrast between the top, sides and back. I think it is going to be fine for us, no way would I give up the fan kit to put a chestnut brown enamel plate back there.

I think the A30s strongest point is convection. It is setup to be a convective heater with the (optional) fan kit on it, and it has knocked my socks off. I got a typical suburban home with too many too small rooms. One box fan on the floor in the hall blowing colder air along the floor to the stove, fan kit on the stove ticking over, boom, convective loop, warm bedrooms at the far end of the hall.

My previous stove on the same hearth was an EPA non-cat, very good radiant heater. 15-20dF difference between the stove room and furthest back bedroom was not unusual, less than 10dF differential was very uncommon.

If you have an open floor plan, I would say you can't go wrong. If you have a choked up floor plan with lots of doorways and corners I _suspect_ the A30 convective system is a bit more sophisticated and will make it easier to even out the temps all around your insulation envelope - but honestly no one I have talked to face to face has complained about the heat distribution off a Princess with the (optional?) deck and fans on it.

I will close by pointing out the A30 has enough glass on the door to let out enough radiant heat for two consenting adults to lay on the hearth in front of the stove and read the bible together in total comfort.

Not all Ashfords are gloss enameled. It can be ordered with painted cast iron. It’s funny @shoot-straight says junk in the trunk. Must be an Eastern Shore thing cause that’s exactly what we say about it! I’d say to go for the Princess if you can stand the look just to avoid the smoke smell issue that comes with the 30 box. I feel like only a few people have mentioned having it on the princess.
I’m pretty sure I started the junk in the trunk thing! ;lol I was one of the first to see it at its unveiling at the trade show. Junk in the trunk was my first thought!

I saw it at HPBA too. There was even a blue-black enameled version that got my hopes up, but sadly that got canned. Too bad, it looked good.

I saw it at HPBA too. There was even a blue-black enameled version that got my hopes up, but sadly that got canned. Too bad, it looked good.

That was the one my wife wanted in Spring 2014. We finally "settled" for the brown enamel when BK announced the blue just wasn't passing QC frequently or consistently enough to be offered for sale.

The brown enamel is sexy good lookin. If your doubting whether the Ashford will have enough heat output and are on the fence I’d go with the princess. If you by margin the Ashford will suit your needs go with it.

I’ve had a Ashford 30.1 and the princess. All the above posters got it right. I’ll just expand on the necessity of the deeper ash pan if your going to run it at 100% or hard during cold snaps as the extra ability to store/burn down coals in the princess is awesome.

The Ashford, when taking a average of all room temps would hold my 2,200sq ft split level at 70f down to about 5f.

The princess will hold the same temp down to -10f.

These are just my observations and both pieces of equipment are fine choices.

Right now wind chill is at -25f and the wind is hitting the front face of the house and it’s 68f and holding. I’m running almost flat out. With partial reloads every 4-5hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

all interesting reads, thanks. I'm going to replace the Jotil F500 in my house which is 1800 sq ft open floor plan and the stove is right in the center. well insulated and tight. the Oslo has been a wood eater and the last few weeks that have been sub zero here in Michigan have been having to re load every 3 hours. I guess i should consider the fact that these temps are ab normal. Im reloading the princess on an average of every 12 to 16 hrs in my shop which is the same size as my house.

Last edited: