BK Ashford .....Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alforit

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2013
Northern Idaho
Thought you might want to see what came out of my chimney after one month of 24 /7 low cat burning.

The first pic is what came out of the whole 16 foot chimney minus 8 inches.......it's just brown powder looks like cocoa powder.

The second pic is what came out of the top 8 inches of the chimney....A IMG_20140113_164804347_HDR.jpg nd the cap had very little of anything on it.IMG_20140113_164857514_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140113_164804347_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140113_164804347_HDR.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 96
It looks to me like you're burning pretty clean. You should be good for the rest of the burning season if you continue burning similar wood. I had to clean a clogged cap a couple of weeks ago from burning some marginal wood since October. My liner didn't look too bad, but the screen in the cap was nearly plugged.

Reactions: osagebow
Horrors, that would make an awful cup of cocoa! Nice going, thanks for the update. I've been curious about what will show up when cleaning.

I sure don't see much in my flues either. I clean them annually, but its more of an inspection really. There's never anything but a little powder.

I was on my roof to inspect a wonky looking shingle and while up there peered down my stack. The cap had the usual black junk that fell off with tapping but down-flue looked dark brown and fluffy. I like fluffy, it's the shiny stuff that I'm afraid of.

So when you clean your flue do you brush right into the ashford? Must you remove the pipe to remove the sweepings? I can't remember if your chimney is all vertical or not.

I was on my roof to inspect a wonky looking shingle and while up there peered down my stack. The cap had the usual black junk that fell off with tapping but down-flue looked dark brown and fluffy. I like fluffy, it's the shiny stuff that I'm afraid of.

So when you clean your flue do you brush right into the ashford? Must you remove the pipe to remove the sweepings? I can't remember if your chimney is all vertical or not.

All vertical straight shot.
I remove my adjustable DVL stove pipe and tape a coffee can to the bottom support box opening......It fits perfect....Then snake it from the roof with a Soot Eater

Last edited:
That's what mine looks like, I get the same black stuff at the top but cocoa the rest of the liner. I'm wonderijng if I should take my top plate off and stuff some roxul at the top.

That's what mine looks like, I get the same black stuff at the top but cocoa the rest of the liner. I'm wonderijng if I should take my top plate off and stuff some roxul at the top.

Not sure if it would make a difference.........I think its just because the very top of the chimney is so close to open air and even some wind getting in that your gonna get the black flakey stuff right at the top several inches of chimney........Not a big deal as far as I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.