BK Ashford Ember Protection Shield.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Collins

Burning Hunk
Feb 1, 2014
Westford, VT
Hi guys,

I'm new here, I posted a while back. I'm looking at getting a BK Ashford this year. The one problem I seem to be having is what kind of ember protection I need.

FLOOR PROTECTION
If the stove sits on a combustible fl
oor, a non-combustible shield must be used underneath the
stove and extending 16 “out from the front and 8 “ on either side of the fuel-loading door in the
USA. In Canada a non-combustible shield must be
used underneath the stove and extending 8 “on either side and rear and 18 “ out in front of the loading door.A non-combustible shield is also required underneath the chimney connector and extending at
least 2 in (50.8mm) on either side of the chimney connector.
See the next page for minimum sizes depending on model. Th
is floor protection is required toprevent sparks from falling onto the combustible fl
oor. See CSA B365-M87).
This product does not require thermal hearth pad protection.

Ember protection shield (not required to have an insulation value)
is to be listed under UL 1618-2009 (type 1) and must have a minimum size of:
In USA: 42 1/8” x 35” (1070 x 889 mm)

I found this information in the Manual for the Ashford. I tried searching the forums, so I'm sorry if there is some information about this already and I missed it.

Is there some definition of the ember protection shield? At some point I'm planning on putting hardwood floor down in my living room (where the stove is going to be) and I was hoping to keep the hearth pad at the same level as the floor. Most hardwood flooring is 3/4 inch is it possible to either buy or make a hearth pad this thin? I was thinking tile on a backerboard would come in pretty close.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this question was asked before and I missed it.

A continuous layer of something noncombustible. It absolutely could be a layer of backerboard with grouted tile. It could be a piece of glass, a sheet of diamond plate, or grouted brick. Be glad you chose a stove without thermal hearth pad requirements.

Thanks, that's good to know. I assumed that it would work but I want to make sure. Is there anyone here with a BK that only requires ember protection? And did any of you finish yours flush with the floor? Also, does the Ashford put out much heat to the floor? would it be safer/better to add a little thermal protection??

Thanks.

If the stove is tested ember protection only, you can trust that spec. This is the trend with newer stoves. The size and insulation requirements are the minimum spec, same with the clearance requirements. There is no harm in exceeding the minimums. If you want to go flush with the floor that should be fine. If the flooring is 3/4" you may be able to remove the top flooring and replace it with 1/2" cement board and 1/4" tile.

I have installed backer and tile flush with hardwood a few times. It's a nice look!
The Ashford does not get hot underneath. The floor is warm but never hot. It actually gets hotter out in front of it than under, it's from the radiant heat off of the glass.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm very happy that I can make it flush with the hardwood floor. The stove is going to be kitty-cornered in our living room. I'm having a hard time figuring out where exactly it will sit. I may be missing something but looking at the clearances in then manual I cannot really figure it out. From the corner of the room 54 inches out is a open doorway to our dining room. I was worried depending on the where the stove and hearth fit that the heart would jut out past the doorway. As it can be flush with the floor that doesn't matter anymore, though it would look nicer if it didn't jut out past the doorway.

Since the hearth will be flush anyway, be generous with the dimensions. It is nice to have some space to set down wood and kindling while reloading without worrying about damaging the hardwood flows.

Reactions: webby3650
I was thinking of being as generous as possible, I just hope 54 inches from the corner of the room will be generous enough. It wouldn't hurt to go more but would look nicer if the tile ended flush with the doorway opening. Looking at the dimensions and the clearances in the manual I realized I was overlooking one of the dimensions. Now it makes more sense and looks like it should fit perfectly without going past the door.

I have one other question. I'm pretty certain I have plenty of space to meet the required clearances in the manual but would you suggest I add extra wall insulation? I've read/been told that if you make a 1 inch air cavity on the walls by the stove then you can have it even closer to the wall. Would it be worth doing this even if I didn't want it closer? or is it overkill?

Thanks a lot for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

Clearances can be reduced with a wall shield that has a 1" air gap behind it. But it is only allowed on old non UL listed stoves, or if the manufacturer makes mention of it in the manual.
Most stoves, including the Ashford list the minimum clearances. That is the number you must go by, no reduction is allowed. It's got really close clearances with double wall pipe, its an easy fit.

Most of the time, people build wall shields for the wrong reason. Unless you have one of those rare stoves that specifically allows for special reduced clearances with a wall shield then you gain NO reduction in clearances by building one. You can line that wall with newspaper if you want, it can be combustible so long as it is outside of the minimum clearances as specified in the stove manual.

My BK only had to be 6" from the back wall, that's really close and barely enough room to clean back there. The back end of a BK is not that hot.

Ok that makes sense. I thought it might be pointless and I didn't read anything about it reducing clearances in the manual. I appreciate the help guys. I think I'm all ready to make my order sometime in the summer.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.