BK cat stalls randomly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bikedennis

Burning Hunk
Jun 21, 2021
Nor Cal
Second season with my Sirocco 30.2. The cat stalls to almost inactive sometimes in the middle of a burn or after reload. Wood is all softwood with MC around 15%. I cleaned the crud off of the cat probe stem and it seems to have helped. Outside temps 20F to max 40F. It may go a couple of days chugging along just fine without stalling. It's had 2 months burning since the cat. was vacuumed. Anything to be concerned about? Is this normal?

How would the cat probe affect this? Isn't the cat probe just an independent thermometer?
Try opening up the air a little more and see if that cures the problem.

Reactions: Highbeam
Don't know that the cat probe actually is related. Yes, more air brings it out of near stall. I was wondering if I had a problem.

“Almost inactive“ and “near stall” doesn’t sound like you have any issues/problems at all..
Sounds like you are running on the ragged edge of your “lowest’ setting ..

“Almost inactive“ and “near stall” doesn’t sound like you have any issues/problems at all..
I agree, and as we warm up outside running on the ragged edge of cat stall will be harder since warmer weather means weaker draft. It will require a bit higher thermostat settings than when it’s cold.

Also, as the cat has now aged significantly, the lowest low setting will naturally need to be a bit higher to avoid stall. You’re getting into the wheelchair years.

The one steel cat I ran didn’t even make it two years before failing miserably. It wore out much quicker than the ceramic cats. I even tried to boil it in vinegar which got me a few more months. Like the OP, I burn softwoods on low settings which I propose is much harder on a catalyst than hardwoods at higher settings.

^ This. Mark that position on your dial now, you just found your minimum allowable setting (MAS), for that chimney.

More importantly, how many hours are you getting at that setting? I hope at least 20 hours?