BK Cat ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I have had only a few fires in my new Blaze King Princess Insert last spring. Was just looking over things tonight and noticed on the bottom left and right corners of the CAT in the stove there looked to be some type of black gasket sealer. It looked liked it sealed the corners of the welds. I took a pic of it but it isn't there anymore because when I touched it, it crumbled and fell off. Any concerns? Thanks Pete

Attachments

• IMG_1933.jpg
    IMG_1933.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 370
Don't have a BK I but have five bucks that says it is silicone caulk to keep the cat from moving around during shipping. It would burn off during the first few fires.

Neat. I always wondered what the guts of a BK looked like!

It looked like dried or burnt silicone. That is what it probably is. Thanks. Pete

Theres no welds there Pete. Just a metal open sleeve with bent back tabs that holds the CAT in. I noticed it with mine a few years ago. I didnt know how much that air gap would effect anything so I ruled it out by putting in some stove/gasket cement around there made by Imperial/our Home Hardware Stores Chain. I have never pulled my CAT yet other than a vacuum or the odd light brush if the stove isnt running.(Which isnt often.) Still hanging in there after two years now. I hope you have been happy with your stove so far.
Cheers

I am happy and cant wait to run it all winter this year. I used to use a none efficient old smoke box in the basement to heat our old house and it was always really warm in the basement but just ok on the 1st and 2nd floors. Cant wait to really run this one. Do you think I should get some stove cement and put some on those corners? Pete

No Concern that I can see. The gasket looks like it is in tact. If you have only had a few fires leave it alone and enjoy the heat once you fire it up.

Thanks for the info!!! Pete

Is that corrosion or just weird lighting?

Do you mean on the underside of the cat housing? I believe it is light surface corrosion. Should it not be there?

I think it is probably just the lighting and/or my monitor. I get a very light dusting that I can wipe off with my finger, seems to be more on the right side as yours appears to be as well.

Ok, i can wipe it off too. I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.