BK Princess first fire question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rigsfan

Jan 5, 2014
Colorado
Hi, we just had our Princess installed and we couldn't be more happy with how she looks. We have read so much on Hearth about the Blaze King stoves and that's really what persuaded us which stove to buy. Thank you for such valuable info!

The question I have is this: the installer suggested several small fires as opposed to one bigger break in fire as suggested in the manual. Since it is June, we don't have to do this today, but any thoughts as to which is preferable? I tend to go "by the book" but am interested in what you recommend. Thanks!

BTW, my avatar picture is before the drywall is finished. It's getting done over the next week but I couldn't wait to have the picture up. Here's what the old builder box fireplace looked like before:

Attachments

• BK Princess first fire question
    364.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 147
Just follow the instructions in the manual. The multiple break in fires are for cast iron stoves, not steel. It's not a bad idea, its just not necessary.

I like a slow steadily increasing fire, just not too hot too fast...... Do it nowish though, 1, so you can cook the paint with the windows open. And 2 so if there are any issues with the stove they can be rectified before burning season.

Reactions: rigsfan
One or two smaller fires will help drive any moisture out of the firebrick. Then get the stove hot enough to bake in the paint. Do this with a window open.

Reactions: rigsfan
Good points. We just had a big hail storm move through so it isn't that warm anymore. May need a celebratory fire this evening!

We want pics of FIRE! I light up new stoves or pipe changes to smoke check even in August so that I don't get surprised in the Fall. The little Brown Haired Girl always says "It's about to get really hot in this joint.".

With very few exceptions, the guy installing your stove is never smarter than a statement in the owner's manual.

The manual allows you to go right to heating without some multi step break in procedure, however, it wouldn't hurt to start small.

I did a small one, a little bit bigger one and then a big one, pretty much what BB is saying. Just to warn you ,once you really crank it when you get the first really cold night you will smell the paint smell again, don't be alarmed. Congrats on the stove, you're going to love heating your house with it .

Status
Not open for further replies.