BK Sirocco 20 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dusan

Mar 1, 2017
Montana
Hi all,

I have a BK Scirocco 20 wood stove that I bought new in 2014. I have 14 feet total of pipe, double-wall inside and triple thru the roof with a very good draft. I am using very seasoned Montana pine wood or aspen.
When I build a fire I open the window and start to build the internal temperature until the thermometer is in the active zone and then I activate the cat.

This is where the problem starts. For about half an hour I have to open windows and doors to ventilate the smell that is making my eyes water, without any visible smoke. I'm a little concerned about the possibility of CO poisoning as well. After a while it is running great with no problems, and reloading with fresh fuel causes no problems.

Once it's burning well, if I continuously reload the stove, opening the cat, closing it, letting it burn overnight, restarting it from hot ashes and keep going it again through the next day, there is no problem at all. The phenomenon only occurs when I start the wood stove again from cold.

I've been several times working with BK support and with the dealer and no one has yet solved the problem. The only way to avoid the problem is to continue burning day through day and night. This was no problem during a Montana winter where temperatures reached -25 degrees, but now it is starting to warm up and I don't want to continuously burn and I don't want to have this kind of toxic air in the space when I am working here.

The gaskets are tight on the wood stove and my next step might be to look at the external intake?

This has been happening since the beginning and I initially thought that the stove just needed seasoning, but after three seasons we've moved beyond that.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 232
Is it a smoke smell? What makes you say the draft is good, are you able to open the loading door right after you put in a new load, and the smoke doesn't roll out of the stove into the room? There are no turns in your flue, just straight up and through the roof? Why are you opening the window, to make to stove draw better or because it's smoky in the room?

Is it a smoke smell? What makes you say the draft is good, are you able to open the loading door right after you put in a new load, and the smoke doesn't roll out of the stove into the room? There are no turns in your flue, just straight up and through the roof? Why are you opening the window, to make to stove draw better or because it's smoky in the room?

No visible smoke at all at any operation. Chimney is straight up and through the roof. I open window for better draft but make no difference. I think I smell co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO is odorless, colorless and tasteless. You really should get a carbon monoxide detector if you don't already have one.

Reactions: Ashful and rdust
Do you have a probe flue temperature gauge?

That's too close to the flue collar and not a probe thermometer designed for double wall pipe.

If it's happening when the weather is warmer it could be draft related.

The sporadic problem happening only during start-up suggests it is likely draft related. Have you checked the pipe/cap for obstructions?

No matter what the outside temperature. Pipe and cap all clean and maintenance.

In spite of draft seeming good the issue could be marginal draft. On a clear and calm day I would remove the cap from the chimney and temporarily insert a 3-4' section of 6" round, duct or cheap stovepipe, crimp down, into the chimney pipe to make a temporary extension. Then test the stove through a full burn cycle and see if there is a noted improvement. If yes, add chimney pipe to extend the chimney and a roof brace 5' above where the chimney exits the roof.

Reactions: dusan and lsucet
The installation does not meet minimum spec. It must be all vertical and 15' long from stove to cap. Any bends in the pipe reduce the effective length.

Whenever I first fire up a cold stove I get a smell. It isn't woodsmoke but all the dust burning off. It also goes away as the burn goes on and won't return if I keep the stove hot.

Inside a home there is always dust, dander, dirt, and other junk falling out of the air and landing on the surface of our stoves.

Reactions: dusan and lsucet
Whats with the metal wall in the background is the stove in a shed, the ground also looks like concretE? If your stove is cold and your room is even colder your gonna have problems. How are you building your fires from a cold start?

In spite of draft seeming good the issue could be marginal draft. On a clear and calm day I would remove the cap from the chimney and temporarily insert a 3-4' section of 6" round, duct or cheap stovepipe, crimp down, into the chimney pipe to make a temporary extension. Then test the stove through a full burn cycle and see if there is a noted improvement. If yes, add chimney pipe to extend the chimney and a roof brace 5' above where the chimney exits the roof.
It was a 40F day with lot's of wind. I noticed it was a good day with good draft in stove and after reaching the active temp I activated the cat. Was waiting for typical smell but nothing happen. You must be right begreen my draft is only marginal despite being 4 feet above the roof. I might have to extend it another feet or two and support it. Thank you all for your help.

PS: Building cold fires from a start is no problem, corrugated metal is the inside wall siding and there is a concrete floor. 4800 elevation

Attachments

• IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 174
Your elevation may also be a factor. If so, this is going to require additional flue above the minimum.

I tend to agree that this sounds draft related. Just a small change in pipe length can make a big difference. BK's seem to really like 15' +

Here is a link to the type of probe thermometer you need for double wall pipe. The magnetic type are designed for single wall applications this one will allow you to know what is happening inside the pipe. As has been noted it should be 18 inches or so above the stove top.

Send us some more pictures that looks like a really nice place.

huauqui

This chart is for the Enviro Kodiak, but it will give you an idea of the effect of altitude on flue height. Note that the minimum height for the Enviro is 12', not the 15' that the Ashford requires.

Altitude compensation Enviro Kodiak.png

Reactions: lsucet
That looks like a beautiful set up for a work shop! I just love the glass garage door... Awesome! :)

Reactions: dusan
Neat looking place. I run the same model BK. We have noted the same smell on occasion. Normally with a odd SE wind. Also occurs if I try to run the stove thermostat much lower than the 2:45 position. I am at the min. 15' length straight up and out. 6' of single wall and the remainder class A double. I have a 2' piece of class A sitting next to the couch. Planning on adding it this week when it gets warm out. Should be interesting.
I'd like to know your opinion of the stove performance otherwise? We are in a small group using this model. My wife and I are beyond happy with our unit. Such a upgrade compared to our previous stove.

Neat looking place. I run the same model BK. We have noted the same smell on occasion. Normally with a odd SE wind. Also occurs if I try to run the stove thermostat much lower than the 2:45 position. I am at the min. 15' length straight up and out. 6' of single wall and the remainder class A double. I have a 2' piece of class A sitting next to the couch. Planning on adding it this week when it gets warm out. Should be interesting.
I'd like to know your opinion of the stove performance otherwise? We are in a small group using this model. My wife and I are beyond happy with our unit. Such a upgrade compared to our previous stove.

Yes, it's a great stove for my 980 Sq studio.

Those pics just really made me miss billings, used to live out by the yellowstone and ride bikes in south hills :(