BKK O.A.K. or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manatarms

Sep 11, 2009
Northern NJ
I'm sure there may be a thread on this already, but I've tried searching 10 ways from Sunday and can't find one. My house was built in 1989...well insulated. Are there any advantages with the BKK to going with an OAK, or no. I apologize in advance if this has been beaten to death in other threads, but i can't find them.

-Mark

There are differences of opinion on the OAK. They claim floors won't be as drafty; we've never noticed this and we've had an OAK once but mostly without. They can cause some problems during different weather periods and windy conditions. Sometimes some smoke in the house.

Manatarms said:
I'm sure there may be a thread on this already, but I've tried searching 10 ways from Sunday and can't find one. My house was built in 1989...well insulated. Are there any advantages with the BKK to going with an OAK, or no. I apologize in advance if this has been beaten to death in other threads, but i can't find them.

-Mark
I've had a OAK in mine from the start so I don't know what it would be like without one.However the draft I used to feel going towards my past stoves I don't notice it anymore.

The woodheat article often quoted has been deemed bunk. Many many areas require the installation. I have one and have no problems at all with smoke, it always works well to allow air into the stove.

With the thermostat on the BKK you should have the best stove to overcome fluctuations in air pressure inside the house. It will automatically open the draft farther to compensate for less available household air when a bathroom fan gets turned on.

Ghettontheball said:
Highbeam said:
The woodheat article often quoted has been deemed bunk. Many many areas require the installation. I have one and have no problems at all with smoke, it always works well to allow air into the stove.
your oak goes into crawlspace where wind factors are neutralized! & if crawlspace is tight that aint even a real oak,genius, post some debunking links & as far as "many areas require" we all know that codes never change,eh?
Gee I wish someone would call me Genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.