Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Background - a while ago I got my first score of almost free logs dropped off at my house. It was a mix of trees that the tree guys called 'junk' that cost me just a nice tip to the driver - they said it was mostly poplar and other 'low grade' wood. I took it anyway as it was my first year and I wanted anything I could get and who can say no to free wood eh?

Cutting into it and learning here I found several logs were black birch (nice smell gave it away). I of course stacked this up along with the rest and didn't think much of it other than it was better than the poplar and smelled really nice cutting and splitting.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon... I've been burning mostly the poplar and some of the birch has found its way into the house too. Also some apple from a CL find. I have been setting the apple aside for a 'cold night' since I figured it was my best wood for that. I decided to try burning a load of just birch to see how it would do... I loaded up a half dozen pieces and got it settled in... 7 hours later I'm wanting to get to bed and it is still throwing off good heat - too many coals to reload, stove sides are 450* (500 on door). House is nice and warm - not cooling down despite falling outside temps. How very odd I think... this gets me wondering and I had to go look up on the ol' BTU charts and that's when I discovered that black birch has a higher btu/cord than apple or oak. Hmm... I didn't realize it was so good! ha. So here I've been mixing it in and setting aside the apple when perhaps I should be doing it the other way around eh?

Anyway - an hour later (after turning up the air more to burn it down faster) I loaded up a full load of apple (it was a cold night) and finally got some sleep... woke up to a very warm house and no need to load the stove until after I had been up for an hour. Totally messing up my schedule here, ha.

Glad I have about a cord of that birch in the pile for this winter.. should help make up for the poplar. I need more good finds like that load.

I have about 200 small black birches on my property that I have been cutting down slowly. They have probably been growing since the put my house in in 1972. The rocky hillside between the house and the mature oaks 100 feet away is littered with these trees - from 2-8 inches in diameter. They sure as hell are good at colonizing rocky craggy areas. I thought about tapping them for Birch Syrup but still think i will cut the rest so I can 'landscape', which will probably just be a natural look - rocks, moss and whatever comes with it. Nice wood to burn - I burn most outside because I just cut them down and leave them to use whenever...

CTwoodburner said:
I have about 200 small black birches on my property ... - from 2-8 inches in diameter. ... Nice wood to burn - I burn most outside because I just cut them down and leave them to use whenever...

Well, based on my experience so far, I would suggest you take those and split them all in half, stack for a year or more then try them in the stove. For me at least I found it burned very nice - as well as any hardwood (including oak) that I've burned.

Black birch is on a list of wood that I've been hoping to come across dead or down on my scrounges. We have it around here, just haven't had the pleasure of cutting any yet.

Black birch is great stuff to burn, but I find it doesn't last as long as other hardwoods (at least around here). After the second year c/s/s (uncovered) it starts to get punky.

FLINT said:
Black birch is on a list of wood that I've been hoping to come across dead or down on my scrounges. We have it around here, just haven't had the pleasure of cutting any yet.

The problem with that is like with any birches, that bark holds the moisture in so well that the wood rots if in log form - and it happens pretty quickly unless cut and split.

I too am burning BB this year, love the stuff I see TONS of it down in the E.Conn / W.RI area and cut as much as poss.

I've seen a few people mistake it for Choke Cherry, which may explain the "junk wood" drop off

Status
Not open for further replies.