Black cherry burl table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cphinman

Dec 22, 2015
Connecticut
image.jpg
cut this black cherry burl over the weekend. Cut it kind of with grain but diagonal to get a few slabs. Should j just lay it on flat boards for a year to dry? Thanks

image.jpg

In our area, those are selling for a lot of money. I had a few black cherry and black walnut trees sawn into 2" slices and they are stacked sitting on my garage. You need to have stickers (3/4" strips of wood) separating each piece and a fair bit of weight on top of the pile. Dry them slowly to lessen warp. Live edge is always worth more so keep the bark on.

In our area, those are selling for a lot of money. I had a few black cherry and black walnut trees sawn into 2" slices and they are stacked sitting on my garage. You need to have stickers (3/4" strips of wood) separating each piece and a fair bit of weight on top of the pile. Dry them slowly to lessen warp. Live edge is always worth more so keep the bark on.
Ok thanks, yeah I have an insane population of black cherry on 7 acres most 18" or under. Located in central ct

Some years ago, my Dad and I had some red oak milled to 1" boards. We stacked the boards, stuck with 3/4" pieces and set a lot of concrete blocks on the top to hold them all straight. We used these for veneer in an addition to Dad's house. They stayed straight, no cracks and look great still. They were attacked inside, no sunlight, no rain. Slow dry.

What did you cut them with a mill or just free hand with a chainsaw? I've got a few logs I want to cut slabs out of but haven't been sure how to go about doing it

So, is that part of the trees roots? Cool....

Status
Not open for further replies.