Black Double Wall Pipe Source?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood Rat

Jan 24, 2024
North Shore Minnesota
I've posted this thread after looking in the Q&A section and not finding an answer. Hopefully it'll help others as well.
Where did you guys get your double wall pipe from? I know it's a standardized dimension and so should be available all over the place. However, the stove manufacturer has a $300 kit with lots of pipe that I won't ultimately need and I'm looking for an ala carte or by the piece option. Did you guys buy the kit and just junk the extra pieces or hit 2 - 3 different retail stores trying to piece your own Frankenstein pipe together? I'm sure others will need this same answer as well. So, what did YOU do?

I got mine from Menard's. At least, that way, if I need a piece or a part I can go there and get it without having to order online.

When I replace the stove pipe someday, I would like to find some that fits together more tightly. This stuff is all screwed together so it is solid and it is fully seated, but I know it sucks some air.

The local stove shops were too much of a pain to work with. I got my Summit from a place about an hour away. The nearest stove shop I know of... well, I was in there and I just don't want to buy anything from him.

Reactions: Wood Rat
I got mine from Menard's. At least, that way, if I need a piece or a part I can go there and get it without having to order online.

When I replace the stove pipe someday, I would like to find some that fits together more tightly. This stuff is all screwed together so it is solid and it is fully seated, but I know it sucks some air.

The local stove shops were too much of a pain to work with. I got my Summit from a place about an hour away. The nearest stove shop I know of... well, I was in there and I just don't want to buy anything from him.
I got the same vibe from the local stove shop and didn't want to support the business. Especially after I saw the exact same stainless steel kit marked up an extra 25%. Not my money. I'll buy at Fleet Farm when the time comes for the Selkirk Thru the Wall kit. I'll check Menards for the double wall black pipe. I'd rather buy 3 -4 pieces than to spend $300 on a bunch of extra pipe I don't need. I'm guessing Home Depot and some of the better fleet farm, tractor supply and hardware stores might have pipe as well.

I actually listed out the pieces needed and ran the numbers. It turns out that the $300 double wall pipe stove kit is a better option. The kit has everything needed for my application and an extendable pipe, wall finish band, and screws. I ordered the 6" to the wall kit for the Drolet Stoves from Fyre Direct in Wyoming for 2 reasons. 1. The kit is complete with free shipping and...
2. There's no sales tax out of State. That alone makes the kit the clear winner. Now I just have to wait until my stove and pipe kit show up.
I want to thank all the members/commenters for sharing their collective experiences and making the selection processes easier. You guys saved me a lot of time, effort (and swearing). THANK YOU!

Eh, don’t worry, there’s still some time for swearing!

Lol

Yes, I thought, "wow, he installed quickly" - but I see that still needs to happen.
Cue the swearing :p

Reactions: Wood Rat