Black Hills Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
I burned a ton of NEWP. Then a ton of Cubic. Now I am following suggestions and burning 5 bags of various pellets.

The bags from HD of Natures Energy were a waste of money. Dust, ash, just not pretty.

Then I went to Hamshaw Lumber here in Keene. They recommended these Black Hills by Okanagan. Brought home my 5 bags. What a wonderful pellet.

Very low dust. But almost non existent ash. No build up in my burn pot. I cannot do all the extensive testing of others but these are making me smile. I see a ton in my future.

I did read that these may be discontinued soon, replaced by a new pellet. Not sure about that but I am really liking the Black Hills Heat.

You found the soft woods! The softwoods burn hotter and have fluffier ash. What kind of price tag?

Glad you had good luck with them. Hamshaw usually carries Okies in the black bag. Not sure if they're the same as OBH. I think they might be. They also usually sell Barefoots. Haven't heard anything bad about those either. They're the only place I know of in the greater Monadnock region that has a decent selection of the good stuff. And they deliver cheap. $16 to my town.

Black Hills from Okanagan Company has been a very good pellet for me this season. I'm into the second half of my 2013-2014 stash and am happy with the results. The pellets provide good heat and a manageable amount of ash.

I burned a ton of NEWP. Then a ton of Cubic. Now I am following suggestions and burning 5 bags of various pellets.

The bags from HD of Natures Energy were a waste of money. Dust, ash, just not pretty.

Then I went to Hamshaw Lumber here in Keene. They recommended these Black Hills by Okanagan. Brought home my 5 bags. What a wonderful pellet.

Very low dust. But almost non existent ash. No build up in my burn pot. I cannot do all the extensive testing of others but these are making me smile. I see a ton in my future.

I did read that these may be discontinued soon, replaced by a new pellet. Not sure about that but I am really liking the Black Hills Heat.

I burned a few bags of Black Hills at the end of last season, and loved them. BUT . . . at $7/bag could not justify buying more this year. Especially since FSU was so outstanding this year at $209/ton.

They were a little over $5 a bag at Hamshaw. Lower by the ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.