Black Locust... Why?.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Why does it heat so well, I ask...
I have an insert full of it right now, the heat coming off is amazing, the wood turns to ash but keeps its shape the longest, the splits in the back are whole yet bright red, full of heat, the bark keeps it shape longer than most..... image.jpgimage.jpg Dry locust heats like one of the best when dry, don't push it unless just experimenting, save it for when it is ready and very cold outside...

Yeah had some hedge throwing some heat. Looks like lava in the stove. Just when you think it's done burning.... guess again!!!

Osage Orange aka hedge in the stove!!!:

Yeah..... I love it.....

I think my locust was honey locust, burns like coal though. Tough to light but runs like a freight train.

My girl doesn't....she won't open the stove door with any hedge in it. Hahaha..don't blame her.

Dry seasoned BL is great. I think it's the tight grain. From the side of a piece you can see the grain lines. Osage is the same. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.